Swapping leathers on seats questions

Willmkent

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I currently have cloth power seats in my 14 GT. I would really like to swap out the OEM covers for them to OEM GT500 leathers... is this doable? are the cloth seats the same setup as the GT500 seats? bolstering and what not? Just want to know if they will fit before I start to shop for take off leathers.

Thanks

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Katzkin leather is s higher quality leather then any oem leather ford offers for our cars. I got mine done and I'm very pleased with the results!

Willmkent

Established Member
Thanks guys that's a good idea! I really just want the seats a little nicer up front. Better bolstering would be cool, I wanted to install some 2015 seats but I'm on the fence on how much extra work I want to put in, especially if I can't use the heated or cooled feature of the seats at that point.

Willmkent

Established Member
Hey Guys

did some research, I found Katzkin is far more than I wanted to spend. I was hoping about 500 dollars would get me some nice GT500 fronts... these are looking to be a couple thousand... for that price i could get recaro seats from ford racing, direct bolt in..

any other ideas?

Paul.

Established Member
The GT500 leather will fit just fine. You'll need some hog rings, hog ring pliers, plus time and attention to detail to do it.

If you want to see how to swap in Recaros, check out my build thread just a couple posts up.

Paul.

madscotsman

Established Member
I bought a set of OEM leather take-offs from ROUSH's ebay store a while ago and swapped out the cloth on my 13' for them. They were brand new and less than $300 if I remember correctly. The fronts came with the seat foam still attached to them by the hog rings so I just left them attached and replaced them as well. Did it following this video as a guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGDQC-8byGw

Worst part was breaking the clips off the lower side trim pieces of the seat and having to replace the drivers side one at $50. Apparently ford sees those as 1x use items and suggests complete replacement if/when you remove them. I was able to get the passenger side one off without breaking any clips by working on the clips from under the seat once I removed them from the car.

greenscobie86

Established Member
^

I did a similar job with my car. Took the base cloth and swapped leather from Roush eBay store. Took a few hours and came out great. I too broke the side pice on one of my seats but fixed it with zip ties. :)

2013-06-29143846HDR_zps6d25d316.jpg

2013-06-29205630_zps4b7b52c8.jpg

2013-06-30112053HDR_zps4d50edcd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread