T-45 Triax shifter noise...Not the normal noise guys..Geeze.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
When I am cruising on the highway, mainly in 4th gear. My shifter rattles really bad now. kinda like a ZzZzzzZ ZZ Zzzz z zz th tht th thth thth Zzz z z z z Z sound. Almost like it is not quite in gear all of the way, but the car cruises fine, and it has never popped out of gear, in any gear. Do you think that it might just be hitting against the rear stop and causing the sound. Or is it coming from the tranny. I checked the stops, and they are the distance that they sould be from the shifter handle according to the instructions, butunder acceleration, which by the way is the only time I here it. Do you think that it is causing the shifter to pull back into the stop and cause this.....Any recomendations are welcome.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by SNK BITN
Are you using the triax handle? It could be loose :shrug:

I checked the handle, and it is tight. It only does it in fourth gear. That is what is wierd about it.

Thanks though.

Fullserve

Established Member
same noise for me

I have the exact same problem with my '97. Checked the handle, checked the stops, but 4th has that rattle. I'm having it checked by a shop (while doing other mods!), so I'll let you know if they have an answer for it.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
FWIW- my stocker has a slight buzz in 4th gear, but not that loud. You can really feel it when you rest your hand on it.

Oh, and a friend's 96 Cobra started doing this in 4th only, right before he lost 4th gear. What's with 4th gear???

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Originally posted by monkeyspunk79
FWIW- my stocker has a slight buzz in 4th gear, but not that loud. You can really feel it when you rest your hand on it.

Oh, and a friend's 96 Cobra started doing this in 4th only, right before he lost 4th gear. What's with 4th gear???

The 3/4 synchronizer is ussually what goes out on most T-5 xsmsns. It takes alot of abuse, especially if you miss third repeatedly. I lost the 3/4 twice, then broke the output shaft. I got fed up and bought a Tremec. Haven't had a problem in 3-1/2years and 15k miles. Use good fluid though...I use GM synchromesh fluid in the tremec.
Check to make sure you put the little plastic/teflon spacer that sits on the "ball" when you re-installed the shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread