T56 in your Fox? Come in please.

racerbox77

Established Member
I bought a T56 6 speed trans FRPP spec along with an aluminum flywheel, and carbon fiber driveshaft. I'm going to buy a new clutch disc for my Center Force while the trans is out so I could easily go to a 26 spline but the 26 spline shaft is $360.

My question is should I spend the $360 to replace the input shaft for a 26 spline?
I know its the the weak point for on Termi's but on a Fox being so much lighter I don't know if I'll be wasting my money. The stock T5 has 10 splines and hasn't broken since 1993.

Any all comments welcome.

Last edited:

speedbunch

Established Member
If you plan on making lots of power, keeping the car, and have the funds do it. I had a t56 magnum in my 93 Cobra loved it.

Sneaky01Snake

Established Member
X2. If ur planning to make big power, and the trans is still out of the car, might as well do it for peace of mind. Youll kick yourself if it does give out, and you gatta take the trans out again, more time and money. Do it the first time and dont worry about it

Im collecting parts to put a viper t56 into my fox, fortunately its already 26spline.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Your sig says " 488rwhp/460rwtq". Plenty of modified 03/04 Cobras running around with a lot more power than that on the stock input shaft. Unless you plan on adding a lot more power I would not worry about it.

bossman302

Banned
D & D performance has the most and best Deals on T-56 parts they will also tell what all you need to have to do the swap, I have had a 6 Speed in two 93's, One of the best Conversions I have done yet.

racerbox77

Established Member
Your sig says " 488rwhp/460rwtq". Plenty of modified 03/04 Cobras running around with a lot more power than that on the stock input shaft. Unless you plan on adding a lot more power I would not worry about it.

Good point. I'm gonna hold off on the 26 spline till I build a new motor.

Sent from me.

buddha93

Established Member
Did you buy that CF driveshaft over on the Corral? There was a dirt cheap one a guy had I almost snagged, but didn't want to commit after spending a bundle on Christmas......lol!

Damn, those T-56 inputs are expensive! I didn't pay near that for the one in my 3550. Anyway, I ran a 10 spline for a long time without any problems. Considering you're on the street 99% of the time, I wouldn't sweat it either.

racerbox77

Established Member
I bought the carbon fiber driveshaft from my buddy but he could have had it listed on Corral.
I think the input shafts break a lot on 03-04 Cobras because the cars are 500- 600 lbs heavier than Foxbodys and most that break are making more than 500 rwhp.

Sent from me.

ForceFedStang

Established Member
Funny how I stumbled upon this. Is you buddy Dave aka MygreenGT? He bought my '89 which that trans was installed in. I noticed this because it had a carbon fiber driveshaft which is pretty unique. That trans stood up well to the motor in the car which was making around 420ishrwhp IIRC. I bought that car out to MI from Socal... real clean. I suspect it will hold fine with the power in your sig, but if you were putting in the new clutch, why not do it now if you plan for upping the power later.

racerbox77

Established Member
Wow ya that's my good friend Dave. I saw that car he got from you, nice. How many miles would you say are on that trans, did you buy it new?
I'll be upping the power in the future for sure but not with the stock block. 500 rwhp is about the limit. So I'll be pulling the motor anyway at that point. Already spending some coin this winter with the whole 6 speed set up and UPR k member kit.

Sent from me.

ForceFedStang

Established Member
Small world, eh. The trans was in the car when I got it from Randy out in SoCal... Really nice guy. I flew out there and spent the day checking out the car and such. He was the second owner of the car I believe. The prior owner was his good friend and he got it from him several years before I bought it. Anyway, he got the trans and driveshaft from a friend that built a crazy fast fox body with the best of everything and wrecked the car. I know the entire trans setup had way less than a thousand miles on it when I got it. I only put a few hundred or so miles on it. Tack on whatever Dave did and there you go. It was basically a new trans.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Usually the terminator guys broke those input shafts around the 600rwhp level. By the time you add the extra weight of the t56 the '93 is probably closer to 3500lbs which isnt all that much lighter than a Terminator making any weight difference negligible. Get the 26-spline.

Users who are viewing this thread