Tech Car - Trans Cooler Help Needed

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Looking for some help with a project I am working on. I put a trans cooler in my 2016 Tech GT350. Anyone do this job with positive results willing to give me some feedback?

I am using a stock cooler with hand cut -8AN lines and a Weldon K9200 pump. I mounted the pump to the K member on the passenger's side. The input of the pump is connected to the trans drain, about 18 inches away. The input of the pump is lower than the drain, so gravity should keep fluid against the input of the pump.

I primed the pump and filled the trans. The pump was nice and quiet for about 3 seconds, then it got very loud, like before it was primed. If I crack the AN fitting on the pump input or output, fluid bleeds.

The pump is lower than the trans drain, but the pump sounds like its not pumping fluid. I was thinking about going for a ride to get the fluid hot, and then turning the pump on to scan the trans cooler with a pyrometer to see if hot fluid pumps through it... but I am worried about burning up a $500 oil pump.

Any idea what the heck I am doing wrong? Is everything fine and the K9200 just loud?

Last edited:

Established Member
you found the kryptonite. I did a similar install and only ran the pump on the track. You can just feel the hoses after driving and they will be hot if the fluid is circulating. It was loud but my can never went limp mode after installing.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I am going to pull the feed line off the filler of the trans and see if it pumps all the way through. I did go for a test ride. With the pump off, after 20 minutes of driving the cooler core was at 109 degrees, which is pretty consistent with other items in that general area (within a few degrees). I turned the pump on, drove for about 5 minutes and measured the core again, and it was up to 150 degrees. I turned it off and drove 25 minutes home. When I pulled in the driveway, the core was back at 109 degrees.

Long story short, I'll confirm 100% on Saturday, but it sounds like it works and is just loud.

I am going to wire an on/off switch and relay, and tie the relay into the switched accessory circuit. That way I can leave it off while street driving, turn it on at the track, and have it turn off when the ignition is off. All that combined with the thermal switch I already wired in and it will be perfect.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Well, there was an IT outage at work that I actually didn't have to fix (thank God), so I wrapped up my car today. It is pumping fluid all the way through. I got a relay installed to turn the pump on and off with the key along with the thermostat.

Everything seems to be working great on the street. Now, I just need a track day to test it and make sure it actually works. How miserable would it be if I did all this work and the pump can cool the fluid fast enough?

Users who are viewing this thread