The best Way to Drive a Lightning to Victory

Lightning01SVT

I have this friend who has a 2000 lightning and he tought me how to make it drive faster than just punching the gas. First, he said to warm-up the truck by holding on to the brakes and puting it on first gear punching the gas at the same time to about 1800-1700rpm for just a few seconds, then go back to drive with the overdrive-off and do the same till they say "GO". ONce the truck takes off, you immediately go to first gear for like two second, then to second gear for another two seconds, and then back to normal drive and just keep your foot on the gas and let the truck smoke your opponent. Note: Always keep the over-drive off at all times. It actually works!! Now, if you do it wrong, it will do the opposite for you, but if done correctly, man, what a difference. Now my questions are: Was this basic racing information I didnt know since Im new to this? ARe there other ways of driving a Lightning faster? and Again, how does this affect the trucks health??????

white lightning 01

Established Member
Thats a very bad idea! Lightnings are hard enough on the tranny as it is your don't need to shift them manually. It doesn't shift any quicker or harder that way. What you may feel is when u drop it from drive to first your letting the transmission slip and then pop in to gear with the revs up a little bit. VERY VERY BAD! Popping 400 lb ft of torque in to a drive line with good tires to a 5200lb vehicle. Thats the "how-to blow your tansmission" instructions. You wern't supposed to know this your friend is dead wrong about this helping you. Trust me no one else does it!

captainoblivious

Slow Vehicles in Training
Established Member
That does sound like a visit to ford for a new tranny.

By racing I guess you mean the 1/4? The best way everyone told me is to raise the rpms to about 1,300 while braking, as the light hits push down on the pedal til you know the tires aren't gonna break loose, then put the pedal to floor and hold it there.

And I would not take O/D off either, you figure 3rd goes up to 119mph, and since most finish the 1/4 below that it won't shift into 4th anyway. Plus what if your modded enough to be able to go over 119mph, w/ OD off it will just stay in 3rd and not go anymore.

Lightning01SVT

I really appreciate this

Man Im glad to be in this, I had no clue that was very bad for my Lightning, but Im just the type of person who tries to see all pros and cons on things, thats why I asked, I thank myself and you guys. I was happy with this method of driving because it raised my victories, and my loses weren't as embarassing for being a stock 2001 Lightning. See if I'll drive that method again, yeah right!! My biggest concern is my trucks health, that damn truck wasn't cheap and Im aware nothing lasts forever, but Im surely going to try to get close to that, you get me? Well, now Im just going to modify it when it comes available to Denver, only the JDM chip is out here, nothing else, so till then, my truck is just a puppy. So next time, how should I race? Just punch the gas? Do I leave the overdrive off or on?

Users who are viewing this thread