The factory Intercoolers are the weak link on St's which aftermarket 1 is the best?

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Mountune,Vortech,Cobb etc .....does anyone have real data on which one performs the best? , thanks!!!

Nuked

Established Member
Mountune is not advised. It has shown to not cool anywhere close to the others and costs more. Steeda or cpe are two good ones.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
steeda most bang for your buck without having to build the kit yourself. There are a couple that you have to piece together that are cheaper but the steeda bolts right in without a hitch! The steeda will also drop your charge temps to roughly 3-8 above ambient vs mountune still seeing 30* above ambient. The stock is sometimes 82* ambient!!!

Nuked

Established Member
Below is a datalog I took today while do some tuning on my FoST. Ambient temps where 80F (Charge Temps at start of pull). I have an open ended Green Filter, hence the higher intake air temps at the start. Interestingly enough, the factory airbox does a decent job of pulling in cold air (I do NOT have a snorkel on mine). I was also pushing the stock turbo as hard as I could, definitely out of its efficiency range. Any how this shows how efficient the Steeda intercooler is. Factory intercooler would have been well over 100 degrees!

http://www.datazap.me/u/nuked/e30-final-base?log=0&data=7-8-9-13

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Below is a datalog I took today while do some tuning on my FoST. Ambient temps where 80F (Charge Temps at start of pull). I have an open ended Green Filter, hence the higher intake air temps at the start. Interestingly enough, the factory airbox does a decent job of pulling in cold air (I do NOT have a snorkel on mine). I was also pushing the stock turbo as hard as I could, definitely out of its efficiency range. Any how this shows how efficient the Steeda intercooler is. Factory intercooler would have been well over 100 degrees!

http://www.datazap.me/u/nuked/e30-final-base?log=0&data=7-8-9-13

did you log that with an apv3? good data! Yeah the stock IC heatsoaks so bad you wouldve likely been in the 140* range with it instead of the 80's!

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Yes apv3. It's logs extremely well.

ive started logging with torque even though everyone seems to base their logs off the APv3. The consensus is the 2015 cars are running hotter than the 2013/2014 cars even with a good IC. The steeda usually puts 13/14 cars around 10* above ambient... i havent seen a 15 car get down below 20* above ambient yet! Im averaging 19* over right now and even though thats not bad, I will be doing research to try and remedy this. I'm using a snorkel and a closed airbox so I'm drawing everything from the mouth of the car and still not getting down in temps where I want to be.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I like CPe.

Agreed, after researching several intercoolers I'll be going with the Custom Performance Engineering 'cooler. Well built and the thing is huge! Now, if Ford would just get my damn car built and delivered. Two months in a couple days, growing impatient!

Users who are viewing this thread