Thinking about getting a Cobra so i have a lot of Q's

PSI87

Banned
Hey Guys, I'm thinking about putting a bigger turbo on my SRT... Problem is with that ill have about 450whp, and 450whp in a fwd car means no traction until the end of 3rd gear... kinda sucky but not too bad. The thing is if i want to build the motor for 600 or so whp, i could never put it to the ground w/o slicks... So im thinking about trading her in for a 03 Cobra. Seems like a much better platform to start off. A lot more expensive though. I really like the fact its rwd, that could be fun. And i understand you can get a lot of horsepower for relatively cheap in these car. three basic problems i see with that is the entry price is about 28k (12k higher than my SRT), poor gas mileage, and im not the biggest fan of superchargers. I prefer turbo's because they are more volumetric efficent. Ok heres a few questions i have. I heard a Cobra motor is good for something like 600whp? is that true? Is their any kind of aftermarket engine management system? How hard is it to take off the speed limiter? In 6th gear, at 80mph, what RPM are you at with stock gearing? and finally what are some advantages and disadvantages to 03 Cobras? Thanks a lot.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
You can get a hell of alot more than 600rwhp on these motors. You can get in the 900's with a turbo or a KB/Whipple w/ nitrous too. You can get pretty crazy with these things if you have the $$. The only thing you have to really worry about when you get around the 600-700rwhp level are the pistons. Alot of people have burnt the stock ones up due to heat. Thats why cooling mods are more of a neccessity than some people realize. But change them out, and you are good to go. These motors came damn near bullet proof from the start. You only have to spend a couple grand to get it in the mid 500rwhp range w/o n20 on the stock eaton blower. The speed limiter can be taken off w/ any hand held tuner, and if you get a custom tune the person who does it will take it off for you. At about 80mph i'd say the rpm's are at about 2200-2300 rpms. At my power level I am getting over 20mpg on the highway w/ ease. Have seen around 25 before. And people with KB's and whipples have seen around 20mpg on the highway as well. Just depends on how heavy your foot is.

There is SOOO much info on the stuff you are asking on this site, you just have to search for it. Trust me, the search button really helps alot and has all the info you need. Just spend somtime to look up the stuff you want to learn about and it will hel you alot. Plus, there are some great people on this board that will help you out.

Now get the Cobra already!!! :beer:

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Just click on the search button and go to advanced search to type in the key words you are looking for :thumbsup:

unibager

Established Member
PSI87 said:
Hey Guys, I'm thinking about putting a bigger turbo on my SRT... Problem is with that ill have about 450whp, and 450whp in a fwd car means no traction until the end of 3rd gear... kinda sucky but not too bad. The thing is if i want to build the motor for 600 or so whp, i could never put it to the ground w/o slicks... So im thinking about trading her in for a 03 Cobra. Seems like a much better platform to start off. A lot more expensive though. I really like the fact its rwd, that could be fun. And i understand you can get a lot of horsepower for relatively cheap in these car. three basic problems i see with that is the entry price is about 28k (12k higher than my SRT), poor gas mileage, and im not the biggest fan of superchargers. I prefer turbo's because they are more volumetric efficent. Ok heres a few questions i have. I heard a Cobra motor is good for something like 600whp? is that true? Is their any kind of aftermarket engine management system? How hard is it to take off the speed limiter? In 6th gear, at 80mph, what RPM are you at with stock gearing? and finally what are some advantages and disadvantages to 03 Cobras? Thanks a lot.

Quick question, are you going for flash or for power?

PSI87

Banned
if you mean like show, definantly not, all im concerned about are high hp, traps and low et's. if i get a cobra ill have to put the KB twin on it.

PSI87

Banned
RAZRS EDGE said:
At about 80mph i'd say the rpm's are at about 2200-2300 rpms. At my power level I am getting over 20mpg on the highway w/ ease. Have seen around 25 before. And people with KB's and whipples have seen around 20mpg on the highway as well. Just depends on how heavy your foot is.

Wow, i love that gearing. Im used to sitting at 3000rpms. The bad part is my turbo can hit full boost at 2400rpms so i have to stay off the throttle. even then im only at like 7in hg. So i wouldnt be suprised if i actually get better mpg with the cobra.

Fast Willy

Established Member
One i put new pistons on my car im gonna run 21 lbs of boost and hopefully have somewhere near 700rwhp. These cars are very mod friendly. Now get the damn thing already and if you look around yuou can find one for like 22 or so.

Mrcobraguy

Established Member
I love my car becuase i've spent very little money performance wise into it and got alot out of it. Hell I even took my die hard chevy friend for a run in it and he said it was the only ford that he would buy lol. Trust me you can't go wrong with the cobra, its a fast and fun car to own.

PSI87

Banned
SCMod46 said:
One i put new pistons on my car im gonna run 21 lbs of boost and hopefully have somewhere near 700rwhp. These cars are very mod friendly. Now get the damn thing already and if you look around yuou can find one for like 22 or so.

The least expensive ive found in florida on autotrader is 27,900

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Autotrader prices usually run a bit high.

Check out the market here or the corral.net or stangnet.com or modularfords.com

You'll find a well kept 03/04 for a very good price. Good luck to you and good choice in getting rid of that four door and stepping into something with some Torque!

PSI87

Banned
DKS2814V said:
Autotrader prices usually run a bit high.

Check out the market here or the corral.net or stangnet.com or modularfords.com

You'll find a well kept 03/04 for a very good price. Good luck to you and good choice in getting rid of that four door and stepping into something with some Torque!

im finding a lot, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread