"Thrashy"-sounding blower - anyone seen/heard this?

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Noticed a thrashy-sounding noise coming through the centre console starting several weeks ago but it wasn't particularly loud or intrusive. Frankly, I thought it might just be the MGW shifter making a little more tranny noise than stock.
However, yesterday I just went to get my car tuned after getting a pulley swap done a few weeks ago and with the hood popped and the car idling, the thrashiness sounded like it was coming from the blower. Now bear in mind that this car has been kept out of boost for over 2 weeks until I could get it tuned, and I recall first noticing the noise (granted a little quieter then)probably 3-4 weeks ago, so I can't see any way this is linked to the pulley swap.
My tuner suspects there might be an issue with the blower bearings. I believe he said he had loud bearings in his original eaton and that shortly after it seized and he ended up going the whipple route. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had these symptoms and knows what it might be (and what might be required to fix it). Is it a major problem? My tuner's going to be contacting a local dealer who knows him and is fairly mod-friendly, so hopefully they don't go blaming it on the pulley swap.
Thanks for any info.

Sharkster

Established Member
Mine is doing the same thing only its not as loud. Im holding out for Steg new port and Ill have them repack/replace the bearings as well, if its not included

DitchTehFish

Established Member
I had the same noise before my eaton was replaced. Try hitting the throttle while under the hood, and as the RPM's fall, listen for a chattering sound. They never told me what the problem was, but I suspect failing bearings. By the way, good luck getting you're blower replaced while you have the pulley on there.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
DitchTehFish said:
I had the same noise before my eaton was replaced. Try hitting the throttle while under the hood, and as the RPM's fall, listen for a chattering sound. They never told me what the problem was, but I suspect failing bearings. By the way, good luck getting you're blower replaced while you have the pulley on there.

Hahaha, I was trying to get ahold of you on MW but your PM box was full, Mr. Popular. :p
I'll try what you suggested, but yeah, the shop seems to suspect bearings as well. Kind of a metallic thrash that's louder with the hood popped, but still noticeable through the centre console inside the car.
Got my shop calling a local SVT dealership that knows them and hopefully they'll be sympathetic. If not, yeah, gonna have to put it back to stock and get it fixed. No way I want to pay for a blower repair/replacement out of my own pocket.
Sucks, cause this CLEARLY wasn't caused by the pulley swap :mj:

Users who are viewing this thread