Thumping while depressing brake pedal

FIVEHOE

Established Member
So leaving work to go to lunch today, I'm approaching the light, braking, when I feel what I can best describe as a thumping in the brake pedal(3 thumps). Then just after making my turn the traction control light comes on twice(the light with the car doing the burnout). None of this was under any heavy driving so in wondering what could have caused it. When I get home from work I'm going to check out the strut tower to make sure everything is night and tight. Any ideas?

Car is a 2013 GT, 4k easy miles. Only mods are lowering springs and aftermarket wheels.

Any input is appreciated!

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
also had this issue once in the ~3k miles I've put on it. The brakes felt like they do when you slam on it from high speeds and the anti-lock kicks in, but with the thumping the OP mentioned. I was coming to a halt from 20mph to 5mph when it happened. Its been fine ever since

FIVEHOE

Established Member
That's weird mine was about the same speed, but nothing on the way back from Lunch. I might just make sure everything's tightened from when I put the springs on and take it to ford if it happens again.

stang910

Established Member
Mine did something similar. It pumped everytime I hit the brakes, so I pulled over in a parking lot turned the car off and restarted it and it's never done it again.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
When it happened to me it felt like an electrical short. You know how the brakes get stuff when you cut the power. It's like the car was cutting off and on. It didn't feel like anything mechanical was lose. OP I wouldn't sweat it but I guess it wouldn't hurt to do some digging. Let us know if you have any leads

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I know this is a thread necro (Don't sodomize me mods), but I had this issue re-occur last night, same sort of thing. Was driving very slow (5-10 mph), turning slowly when I feel the break pedal thuds followed by the traction control light on the dash. Anyone else have this problem or know a solution? I figure if it only happens once every few years then it hopefully isn't anything major.... car only has 8k miles though and loses its warranty come summer time.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Back in 2005 I had a new Aviator. It did something like that one time, somewhere around 10k miles. I got that ABS thumping feel in the pedal, but when I tried to stop they didnt work at all. I pulled over, turned it off and back on and it never happened again. It was definitely something that will get your attention though, especially if you were doing something, eh how should you say, "stupid" when it happened. I mentioned it to the dealer while they were repairing an oil leak and they couldn't find anything.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
yeah I was hoping maybe the ecu recorded what caused the traction control icon to pop up but I don't believe the cause is stored. I'm not that concerned, it's just one of those things that makes you go "wtf?" when it happens. Just seeing if there was a solution to this as my warranty ends in a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread