Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
I owned a '88 Turbo-coupe and loved it . My gas mileage was in the high twenties if you stayed out of high boost situations. The only real issues i had was the ABS system and make sure if you modify the exhaust make sure it's a quality system (IE) Almost every other year Meineke had to replace my mufflers under warranty which became a bother after awhile.

Macon Marauder

Voice of Cold Hard Reason
Established Member
I have an '87 TC auto that we bought new. Has about 77K miles on it. MPG was always about 17 city, 23 hwy.

Clear coat on the paint started flaking off about the time warranty expired. Decent daily driver for years, then started eating ignition modules. Has also had a lot of bothersome little electrical glitches along the way. Recently replaced the distributor and upgraded the alternator. Now the injectors are leaking so it's parked.

I wish I'd gone for the 5 speed, but it was for the wife and she wanted the auto...

Sny714

Established Member
I had an 87 TC 5 speed. This was after I had an 87 Tbird with 5.0HO in it. I loved the TC. It had a t3 turbo at 18psi, ported head, centerforce Clutch, 3" exhaust from downpipe to rear bumper. The car was fun on the highway. I only had that car for about 2 months then bought my 89 Notch. I too still keep my eyes open if I see any for sale. Big and comfortable with some power.

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
I had an 87 TC 5 speed. This was after I had an 87 Tbird with 5.0HO in it. I loved the TC. It had a t3 turbo at 18psi, ported head, centerforce Clutch, 3" exhaust from downpipe to rear bumper. The car was fun on the highway. I only had that car for about 2 months then bought my 89 Notch. I too still keep my eyes open if I see any for sale. Big and comfortable with some power.
:beer::rockon: THE HIGHWAY WAS A THRILLING PLACE TOO ENJOY A 5-SPEED TURBO-COUPE !!!!!!!!!!

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
I have an '87 TC auto that we bought new. Has about 77K miles on it. MPG was always about 17 city, 23 hwy.

Clear coat on the paint started flaking off about the time warranty expired. Decent daily driver for years, then started eating ignition modules. Has also had a lot of bothersome little electrical glitches along the way. Recently replaced the distributor and upgraded the alternator. Now the injectors are leaking so it's parked.

I wish I'd gone for the 5 speed, but it was for the wife and she wanted the auto...
I had some electrical issues also, dash had to be rewired. ) Finally fiqured out the distributor was the reason for rough idle/stalling/high rpm missing. (PIP) Profile Ignition Prom i think it was called inside of the distributor. I purchased mine used with 60K miles on it and the previous owner had removed the cats and had been in a front/rear collision.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Hey guys, I may have a 87 TC for sale real cheap, like 2k, relatively low miles.

It was mint when I bought it for my nephew with 60k on the clock, if you are interested pm me and I will share the rest of the details.

Ken

:beer::beer:

Last edited:

U S Marine

Established Member
Who feeds you this bullshit?

The motors are stout. The limit is about 400 on the stock rods/rod bolts. They are very easy and cheap to modify. I'd recommend and 87/88. Those models have the upgraded VAM, ECU, injectors, transmission, as well as PRC and the Regular/Premium fuel switch. On the regular setting it'll run about 10psi and on premium it'll run 15psi +/- a few #. Not to mention that it has a Trac-Loc 8.8, which IIRC, the Mustang didn't even have.

Agreed. I have an 84 SVO that I am retuning to stock for my son. These 2.3's can make unreal HP for the size. They are very strong engines. Many of the SVO owners still autocross thiers with 150,XXX + miles. Never dyno'd mine, but the guys build that I replicated, and I added more, made 412 RWHP. I'm always looking for a nice turbo coupe.

AllAboutCars101

YoungTurbo
trying to open this thread back up, i just got an 88 TC, shes all stock, have to rebuild the engine, just smokes alot, new bearings, pistons, rings, etc. have to get a manifold and turbo, have a turbo that will most likely work until i get a t3 setup. a buddy of mine has owned and built about 4 of em so im getting him to help me out alot. looking to get some performance out of her. i love these cars :D any ideas on a few good bolt ons?

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
My 87 TC 5 speed is now sitting my driveway. My GF's brother is driving it but not sure he is in love with it, being he is from England.

It might still be for sale for those who know what they are looking for.

87K orig miles at this point I think, just tuned up, runs great, needs some body work though thanks to my Nephew :bash::bash:

Still a solid fun car to drive, and they do get great mileage.

Ken

:beer::beer:

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
trying to open this thread back up, i just got an 88 TC, shes all stock, have to rebuild the engine, just smokes alot, new bearings, pistons, rings, etc. have to get a manifold and turbo, have a turbo that will most likely work until i get a t3 setup. a buddy of mine has owned and built about 4 of em so im getting him to help me out alot. looking to get some performance out of her. i love these cars :D any ideas on a few good bolt ons?

Best bolt-ons are the FMIC, boost controller, open cone filter, ported exhaust manifold, ported intake manifold, bigger fuel pump and bigger injectors. If you want to get crazy after that, bigger turbo, gutted intakes, cam, BoPort head.

turbo83coupe

Established Member
Hey guys, I just joined. I have had an 83 TurboCoupe for about 5 or 6 years now, (and an 85.5 SVO I am messin around with in the garage). I personally have gotten a best of 33 mpg in the TC. It is a ton of fun!! I would have one for a daily, but living in PA I would not like to try one in the snow!! Hell, I dont even liek to take it in the rain!! I do daily it in the summer though. Like any other car, if you have one that was neglected, the car will show it!! But They are very stout cars and can take a beating!! Mine has a full exhaust, 8.8", front mount, updated it to 88 TC computer injectors and VAM, filter, and some boost!! Best mine has gone to date is 13.5 and I blew an intercooler pipe off at 1000' and coasted the last 300'. Definatly a fun car. Lookin for an SVT Focus for a daily though...

Kiler Be

Established Member
I have a 87 TC. Its a great car and fun to drive. The best mileage, 28mpg on the highway. I saved it from a farmers field. The car is stock and has 230,000+ miles and still runs great. I took it off the road because of a problem with the ABS. That's fixed and I'm going to put it back on the road soon. Good luck with your search.

xjeffs

Established Member
I don't think 3800 lbs is right. The 88 Cougar XR7 is the same car with a 5.0L and it only weighed 3450 lbs. Probably under 3400 lbs. And they are known to get close to 30 mpg.

Great cars by the way. Styling is usually the issue with most people.

Last edited:

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
I just got a 88 Turbo Coupe a couple days ago. Runs good other than a rough idle when cold. 100,000 miles.
I will post some pics.

Last edited:

steemin

Established Member
I bought a new 5 speed Turbo coupe in 1987.
It was an AWESOME ride.
Great car for a single guy.
I was living in NJ and my fiance was in Indiana.
I actually looked forward to the drives back and forth:banana:
That car was incredible on the interstate.
Fast smooth and very comfortable....

Scott

silverbird

Established Member
tc88

i've owned 1-86,2-87,1-88 the 88 was the stick with the 355 rear end. it was great on the highway.it would get about 31 mpg with the cruise on.my 87 auto had the 373 gears it was lousy on the highway.it only got 22 mpg.My son and I took on a new at the time cobra (03) late at night. she could not believe that we smoked her so bad. did it 2x in a row.she followed us to the library we were returning some tapes. she could not believe that we beat her so bad. with a 4 cyl in fact she insisted that I sahow her the motor then and there. My car was running and you couldn't here it over her cobra. so when I popped the hood she was amazed. the next wekend was a test and tune at the local track. she ran 12.41 with her cobra.when we walked up to her and she recognized us she wanted a rematch right then and there. I had my 92 t-bird out that night.my car had 285000 miles on it when I sold it to a friend. He just had to have it.he drove it for 2 years hit 3minivans 2telephone poles and the car had 315000 miles on it. He gave it back to me.I took the engine apart just for the fun of it. I never ran synthetic in it. Always changed it at 2500 miles. the inside of this motor was as clean as a new motor.I ran 20 plus lbs of boost through it. for over 3 years. these cars are great. I will buy another one when I can find a suitable one. Living in wisconsin you can"t find many good bodies.ps don,t sell it to a friend . when it comes time to sell it sell it to someone you don't know. these things can kill a freie.ndship

Users who are viewing this thread