"Tick" in cylinder heads

CobraSpit

Established Member
I have seen several people talk about the infamous "tick" coming from the cylinder heads. When I called my local Ford Service department to find out what I needed to do to get on the list to receive new replacement cylinder heads, he responded as if he no idea what I was talking about. He says there is no Technical Service Bulletin concerning the heads. and that they weren't in the business of giving away free cylinder heads. Therefore, if anyone knows what the exact Technical Service Bulletin, please let me know.

How do I force the Ford brass to respond to my demands?

Help

2003 Torch Red Cobra - Pre Production Model

03RedCobra

Established Member
I had the "tick" verified by the SVT mechanic at my Ford dealer, and he was told by the Ford hotline (wherever they call) NOT to do anything, and that I had plenty of time left on my warranty, and they were working on a fix. Well, that was around April time.

Don't think there will ever be fix for this.

BenD

Established Member
Fix the TICK

There is a TSB that addresses the "TICK" , however, it is date specific. Engines built before Nov. 01, 2002. It directs the dealer to follow an 8 step diagnostic check list. If this fails to resolve the noise then they are authorized to replace the left cyl head only. (p/n 3R2Z-6049-GA) How this would apply to later production is not clear, but if you found the right dealer, I think it's at their discretion.

I personally don't screw around with Ford dealers, most are assholes, when it comes to warranty issues with the Cobra. I have no trouble with warranty claims of any nature at our local Lincoln/Mercury dealer.

I would try a Lincoln/Mercury dealer for any future issues.

One last note, if you have monitored the site issues, you'll see that more importantly is the fact that the heads on all '03's, perhaps some '04's have only 4 threads for the plugs and they loosen up and some have blown out. Ford won't acknowledge the fact. However, all replacement heads have 9 threads for the plugs...isn't that interesting?

Hope this helps!

stangin

Established Member
Re: Fix the TICK

Originally posted by BenD
There is a TSB that addresses the "TICK" , however, it is date specific. Engines built before Nov. 01, 2002. It directs the dealer to follow an 8 step diagnostic check list. If this fails to resolve the noise then they are authorized to replace the left cyl head only. (p/n 3R2Z-6049-GA) How this would apply to later production is not clear, but if you found the right dealer, I think it's at their discretion.

I personally don't screw around with Ford dealers, most are assholes, when it comes to warranty issues with the Cobra. I have no trouble with warranty claims of any nature at our local Lincoln/Mercury dealer.

I would try a Lincoln/Mercury dealer for any future issues.

One last note, if you have monitored the site issues, you'll see that more importantly is the fact that the heads on all '03's, perhaps some '04's have only 4 threads for the plugs and they loosen up and some have blown out. Ford won't acknowledge the fact. However, all replacement heads have 9 threads for the plugs...isn't that interesting?

Hope this helps!

I have read several post where people say Ford no longer replaces the head if there is a tick, since people with the head replaced drive home and the tick starts up again before they hit the house.

They were told that Ford was working on a fix for the tick, but did not know what was causing it.

I had the tick as well, but seems I had a bunch of piston/teflon scrubbing which my machine shop said was the piston after looking at it. He could not find anything wrong with the heads.

I bought one new driver's side head which does have the full threads, since the engine is apart just to be sure. There is a listing for a new head P/N, but not available yet.. this was April, might have come out by now? I read another post where someone said a new head design is coming out so there might be a better head coming soon.

I added the timesert steel plug threaded inserts while the heads were off.. a very cool kit by the way, I even did the new fully threaded head. This is not something I would want to do with the heads installed on the motor.. you can pack the oversize tap flutes with grease to catch most of the aluminum chips, but I would be scared some would fall into the engine still.

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Article No. 03-11-4

ENGINE - MUSTANG COBRA - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 ONLY

Publication Date: May 23, 2003

FORD: 2003 MUSTANG

ISSUE:
Some 2003 Mustang Cobra vehicles with engines built before 11/1/2002 may exhibit an unusual engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. This noise may be due to valve guide wear in the left bank cylinder head. Guide wear manifests itself as a tick noise which can be heard at the rear of LH head, through LH catalyst, at the LH front wheel well and may not be heard with the hood open.

ACTION:
Use the diagnostic procedures listed in this article to evaluate the vehicle condition and replace the cylinder head if applicable. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: THIS REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

In order to diagnose noise, the following items must be checked:

Verify noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the left head near the exhaust ports.

Verify that the noise is heard in the left side exhaust system (left side wheel well or catalytic converter, from underneath the vehicle).

Try to isolate the noise by canceling the cylinders, by unplugging the injectors one at a time (start with #8 cylinder).

Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.

Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C) and retest vehicle.

Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, retorque to spec listed in the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C.

Check for spongy lash adjusters (refer to Section 303-00 in the corresponding Workshop Manual).

Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.

If the above diagnostics does not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, and the engine was built prior to 11/1/2002, replace the left side cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 3R2Z-6049-GA. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C for cylinder head replacement procedures.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3R2Z-6049-GA Cylinder Head And Cam Assembly - Left - Cobra Only

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
INFORMATION ONLY

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by 03RedCobra
...told by the Ford hotline NOT to do anything...and they were working on a fix.
There was a Special Service Message broadcast to dealers around May or June of this year. It basically said they know there's a problem with the tick in late build '03s and '04s. They said engineering is "looking into it" and to stay tuned for further details. I'd post the actual message but I can't seem to locate it at the moment.

-Greg

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
L-M dealers are WAY WAY WAY more familliar with the dohc v8 than any ford dealer, even an svt franchise.

When you post a statement like that you might want to get you're facts straight. We work on more Cobra's than anyone in the U.S. according to Ford. I think that qualifies us as pretty darn good at what we do and that we probably know what were doing! My Tech's go to the same schools as the L/m guys do and we also work on Lincoln/Mercury products here all the time. So next time when you decide to talk out your rear don't "generalize", you don't know what you are talking about!

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
ok, so you work on ONE model with the dohc v8....

do i need to list all the l-m models that have the dohc v8?

Since your reading comprehension is so poor I'll politley bow out from a verbal jest with you! Try again....

Users who are viewing this thread