tick/ new heads

fr03cobra

Established Member
tick/ ported heads

Has anyone ported their heads while the dealer was replacing the head for the tick? thanks

Last edited:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I don't think porting does much for 4v heads.

I talked to Lidio from alternative auto today about the tick. He said it is caused by something in the head being made improperly/having a bad design. I can't remember his exact wording. He did say that he didn't think the apten fix would work. He said that cylinders 7&8 don't actually run hotter, but they are just the first to go after a bad tune. He claims that his tuned engines are tuned conservatively enough that they don't blow 7&8.

Also, have we seen before/after cylinder temperatures for 7&8 with regards to the apten mod? Maybe they are being held back because they aren't as spectacular as we'd hoped they would be?

He also said the tick is harmless, and can only be truely fixed with new heads.

APTEN

Apten Performance
Established Member
I don't think porting does much for 4v heads.

I talked to Lidio from alternative auto today about the tick. He said it is caused by something in the head being made improperly/having a bad design. I can't remember his exact wording. He did say that he didn't think the apten fix would work. He said that cylinders 7&8 don't actually run hotter, but they are just the first to go after a bad tune. He claims that his tuned engines are tuned conservatively enough that they don't blow 7&8.

Also, have we seen before/after cylinder temperatures for 7&8 with regards to the apten mod? Maybe they are being held back because they aren't as spectacular as we'd hoped they would be?

He also said the tick is harmless, and can only be truely fixed with new heads.

porting can be helpful for 4V motors, but it's usually pretty expensive when you add disassembly and assembly of the heads.

We have a lot of test data showing that the coolant fix actually does work. It's more apparent when you do cars that are in the 600+ RWHP range. Over the years we have seen and read about a lot of problems with 7&8. The GT heads have different areas that run hotter, and we are working on a coolant fix for them. With time we will have more data that we can put in a format for people on the internet, but testing for stuff like this takes time. We do know at this point that the coolant modification has improved cylinder temperatures. We have shared this data with 4 different tuning companies and they have also shared testing and information back with us.

For the tick, the reason is they cast the exhaust port too close to the coolant passage on the early cylinder head. The exhaust port got the coolant hot and it caused the valve seats to warp, causing the tick. The only fix that is permanant is to get the better castings.

Brian

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
So if I have a Sept, 02 build date, but don't have the "Tick" as of yet, is it a good possibility that at some point (probably right after the warranty expires!) my 03 will develop the tick?

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
BrianH, that does help clarify things. And you say that it does help reduce temperatures. So in order for you to believe that, you must have already done before and after temperatures. What kind of results have you found?

Blades

Established Member
Originally posted by IronTerp
So if I have a Sept, 02 build date, but don't have the "Tick" as of yet, is it a good possibility that at some point (probably right after the warranty expires!) my 03 will develop the tick?

bump.. ditto.. mine was a june 02 build date!!

Users who are viewing this thread