Tire Storage

BRIMSTONE

Well I got myself a new set of the BFG KD's. I don't plan to use them, and was wondering if you guys have any storage tips. Is it possible to have these tires still in good condition 10 years from now?

Thanks,
Mike

Andy M

Established Member
Mike,

Do you have access to a place which is dry and somewhat humidity/temperature controlled?? If you can keep them in a cool dry place without large temp/humidity variations, they should keep for several years without any problems. I would also lather them up with a good tire dressing (Meguiars, etc) on the entire surface area. This will keep the rubber soft.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I heard they arent going to make the KD much longer....I think Tire Rack shows them out-of-stock already....and I'm not sure how many are still out there, and if the rumor is true that they will not make any more....

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
You should keep them away from natural light also. The UV rays are murder on tires. This goes for anyone that has track tires also.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R
I heard they arent going to make the KD much longer....I think Tire Rack shows them out-of-stock already....and I'm not sure how many are still out there, and if the rumor is true that they will not make any more....
Ken,

Tire Rack does not keep them in stock because they can't get them without one of us (an R owner with a valid VIN) calling Michelin first. I had to call Michelin (parent of BFG) and give them my VIN and prove I was now the owner of #155 and then they released a set of 4 to Tire Rack. Then I just purchased them from Tire Rack and they shipped them to me.

The current supply, however, in the Michelin warehouse will dry up at some point and according to the person I spoke with, they are not planning to make any more of them.

Users who are viewing this thread