Tires on the 01 L

SVT00

Established Member
I thought the new tires on the 01 were GY F1 with the AAA rating?

If that is correct, why is it that I have seen three, including a friends new White 01 with the same tires as my 00?? Am I looking at the wrong thing? I thought that the traction rating would be the thing that changed?

My buddy asked about this at the dealer, and apparently a tech said FORD had probelms with the 'new' tire.

Silver-Bolt

Twisted member
Established Member
Tires on the 99-00-01 are all the same. No different compounds. Nothing but wild rumors.

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning
PSP 4-way
PSP filter w/outerwear
PSP Lower Pulley
Level 10 Shift Kit
F-250 trans pan and filter.
Snug-Lid
In the works
4-Link
Level 10 torque converter
Single blade T.B.

marcseidler

The 01 Literature states that the 01 Version of the tire is a diferent compound that is stickier. Goodyear says that also. I was not aware of any specific model or specification change. From what I read, considering the different rear amd Hp and Torque increase, the 01's do not spin out of the hole like the 99/00's do. The tires may have something to do with this change.

------------------
01 Silver L
Past Performance Cars
99 Z28, 97 Cobra, 95 M3, 94 SHO, 90 ZR1, 88 Z52 Vette, 71 LT1 Vette, 70 RA3 TA
Loved them all and modified them all.

lightning0513

Established Member
The 01 do not spin-out from the hole like my 99 does. I just wondering if the rear-end has anything to do with that. Can someone clarify that one for me? Thanks.

Chainsaw13

Established Member
My friend can easily spin his tires in his 00. My 01 on the other hand, barely chirps them. I would think it has something to do with the tire compound as you would think the higher gear ratio in the 01's would make it even easier, plus add in the 10 extra ft/lbs of torque. I guess I shouldn't complain as that means I won't be burning the tires off quicker. :D

Just my opinion, as I have nothing to back this up with.

Bob

JeffsLightning

Established Member
My 99 had a treadwear rating of 320. My 01 has 300. I think that will tell you something. Less means softer..

FlashBlack

Established Member
Yep got to love these new tires. They grip better but now I no longer trust them. See pics below.:mad:

124-120-644.jpg

124-120-645.jpg

FlashBlack

Established Member
It happend when I was going about 85mph.:eek: Lucky me it didn't blow out when I was going 120+ around long corners. I had to put the spare on in the tall grass and in the dark. NOT FUN! I got a new tire for free so that was the only good thing out of it all. Why do we have firestones for a spare? That made me feel real good.:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread