TOB/transmission replace necessary

pga4trp

Established Member
:bash: Took my car in to have 4.10 gears put in (Love them by the way) at the performance shop that does all of my work. The mechanic took my car for a test drive after the work, which I okayed, he is not that impressed with the power of these cars, that is not a negative comment its just that they do many 700+ type cars. Anyway he came back and said that my throw out dbearing was shot. Gee theres a shock, he gave me the name of a dealer and service manager to go see who only will attempt to void a warranty if there is absolute proof mods did it or if a rep comes and dictates it. Anyway I too now have to have a new transmission and will only have to pay the $120.00 for the clutch. Estimating 2 weeks, got a nice taurus to drive in the meantime. There are some great dealers out there who really follow the intent and letter of the law. I will not post the dealer name to keep any snooping nazis from ruining a good thing. Just wanted to share this.

CobraTone

Established Member
What was your TOB doing? Squeaking like the rest of them? Mine does it off and on, sometimes will go a long time without doing it, then it comes back. :shrug:

pga4trp

Established Member
I first noticed the pedal very badly pulsating when I was cruising and I would lightly rest my foot on it. Then it did squeak and I thought it was a belt or something but when I just barely depressed the clutch it stopped. Then the transmission at high speeds souded like it had ball bearings rattling around. The tech that drove my car could feel it right away he said at the top of letting the clutch out it kind of hesitates. If you think you have a problem trust me you do.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I just got my car back about an hour ago from TOB repairs [chirping]. They replaced the TOB and checked the rest of the parts [clutch, trans, bearing retainer], and said they are ok. Hopefully they are right. Anyway, the chirping is gone. The car felt better to me on the way home than it has for a while. I don't know if it's a mental thing or if retorqueing the trans bolts when they reinstalled it may have helped. It's too soon to tell. :)

CobraTone

Established Member
Originally posted by pga4trp
I first noticed the pedal very badly pulsating when I was cruising and I would lightly rest my foot on it.

Is this the "clutch chatter" some have mentioned? When I am sitting at a light and I have it in neutral a lot of times I can feel the clutch vibrating up and down pretty bad. Is that what yours was doing? Looks like it's time to take her in, although I hate having her gone. :mj:

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraTone
Is this the "clutch chatter" some have mentioned? When I am sitting at a light and I have it in neutral a lot of times I can feel the clutch vibrating up and down pretty bad. Is that what yours was doing? Looks like it's time to take her in, although I hate having her gone. :mj:

Mine pedal vibrates so loud now it sounds like a helicopter is following me around...

Users who are viewing this thread