Took Air Silencer out..Wow!

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Man....that is amazing...I mean..I have taken the air silencer out of every Mustang I have owned and after taking it out of the Mach 1 , I was shocked at how much a difference it makes! You can really feel the pull and how fast it goes through the rpms compared to leaving it in....it sure feels like alot more than 5 horsepower that I have heard...more like 15. Nice to see the same mods hold true for our ponies. So much fun chirping tires going to second and third....havent push her hard enough yet to hit fourth and see if she chirps then too. Still breaking her in abit.

I am guessing that the horsepower and torque in the low and midrange are more than maybe the total 5 rwh that have been seen on the dyno for a top horsepower number. Thats why we feel the difference so much. Probably atleast 15 more horse and more torque down lower in the rpms on the dyno. I will check that out when I get to the dyno.

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
cool to hear the good results

I have heard good and bad things from this mod. I personally believe that its better to leave it on. We get plenty of air with the shaker so by removing the a/s you introduce more hot air. JMO

looking forward to the dyno results

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
I am telling you...No way...I thought that too....just take an 8mm socket and take out the bolt in the fender that holds on the air box...pop out the ram air tube that goes to the air box. I unhooked the strap that holds the airbox to the mass air also.Then just push the airbox away from the fender alittle and disconnect that rubber air silencer from the air box and pull it right out of the fender hole there. Took me about 30 seconds...you dont need to turn it into a huge project by taking everything off. I even still have the stock airfilter in...do it and you will be amazed at how it changes the car for the better. I guarantee you will be glad you did.....

Last edited:

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
Hi Harry

Thanx for starting these silencer/screen removal threads. :beer:

Hope we can discover some more "free mods".:idea:

Users who are viewing this thread