Torsen Diff(erences)?

GrayGhost Dog

Established Member
I'm looking at one of the Torsen differentials available from FRPP... they show the T-2(low bias ratio of 2.0), Boss 302 T-2(low bias ratio of 2.7), and FR500S T-2R(high bias ratio of 4.0). I'm curious to find out which one would be a good choice for our 5.0 GT's.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Depends on what you're doing. The Torsen differentials allow some slip differentiation between the wheels, which is important for on-throttle turning where your outside wheel needs to turn slightly quicker than the inside wheel.

What this does is allows for better control of the rear through the corners as well as creating less heat and wear than the standard LSD clutch based differential found in the GT and non Torsen equipped Boss.

The higher the bias, the more torque that gets sent to the slower moving wheel. SO you'd want to choose this based on your traction needs. The FR500S runs a high bias diff because it wears big sticky rubber and can still handle that extra wheel torque. On a street car, I'd opt out of that one. If you're going to run R compounds a lot, go with the Boss bias, if it's primarily a street car that uses street tires for tracking, I'd probably go with the low bias 2.0 version.

Now, if you're a drag racer, the Torsen isn't really the differential for you, I'd stick with the clutch based setup that the factory uses. Or go with a spool or locker.

GrayGhost Dog

Established Member
Thanks. For the most part, my wheels will be shod with summer-only street tires. I can't see me with the luxury of having a set of wheels sporting R-compound rubber just for an occasional road course outing. So it's between the T-2 and the Boss 302 T-2...

Users who are viewing this thread