Towing Limitations...

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I've run into a problem...I've got too many toys and no great way to move them. I'm relocating to Fayetteville, NC the end of this month and have a Raptor and two Mustangs to move (about a 450 mile trip). My plan is to tow one Mustang up this weekend and put it in storage and then tow the other one up when my wife and I make the final move. Question is, how much can I put in the bed and still tow a vehicle? Also, from what I have read, with the 2,200 pound U-Haul trailer and my 3,200 pound '98 GT, I'm going to be right at the towing limit of the truck...what do you guys think? Any precautions that I need to take to keep from screwing something up?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Raptor towing limitation is based on the suspension not the ability to tow more weight like the standard 150. You should be fine with your current set up. If your really worried I would just make sure you dont go over the tongue weight.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I don't have a lot of experience with towing so I just wanted to be sure that I don't burn anything up. The first trip up will just be the truck with me, the wife, and two X hundred pound dogs plus a weekend's worth of luggage and the '98GT in tow...not too worried about that. The final trip will be all of the above plus about 1,500-2,000 pounds worth of crap in the truck bed and potentially my Cobra in tow, depending on the weather...that's what I'm concerned about. Thanks to the Army for not supporting drag racing as a "hobby." They won't pay to ship my '98 GT even though it's barely street legal and I just use it for drag racing as a "hobby." I could ship four thousand pounds of guns or fishing gear and that would be fine...they'd pay for it, but not for car stuff. Don't understand it, even after 16+ years of service.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I don't have a lot of experience with towing so I just wanted to be sure that I don't burn anything up. The first trip up will just be the truck with me, the wife, and two X hundred pound dogs plus a weekend's worth of luggage and the '98GT in tow...not too worried about that. The final trip will be all of the above plus about 1,500-2,000 pounds worth of crap in the truck bed and potentially my Cobra in tow, depending on the weather...that's what I'm concerned about. Thanks to the Army for not supporting drag racing as a "hobby." They won't pay to ship my '98 GT even though it's barely street legal and I just use it for drag racing as a "hobby." I could ship four thousand pounds of guns or fishing gear and that would be fine...they'd pay for it, but not for car stuff. Don't understand it, even after 16+ years of service.

Like I said the only thing holding it back is the suspension on the truck. Its not set up to carry heavy payload like the normal suspension. I might ask the question on one of the raptor forums. That might have an idea to help with the heavy cargo and tow...

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Tow rating is a completely made up number by the manufacturer. It is not based on a specific formula like HP. Every OEM determines it differently. If you're close, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you don't tow for a living.

Put some airbags in if you really want peace of mind.

Saleenrose

Established Member
Biggest problem with the towing is the ass end drops like a rock, I towed a 2011 mustang 250miles and had no problems with power, really didnt even know it was there other than the nose bleed effect.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Well, back from the trip...465 miles and no issues. 3,200 pound '98GT + 2,200 pound trailer + 600 or so pounds of me, wife, dogs, and luggage. There was a slight drop in the rearend and I could feel potholes a bit more, but no big deal. I averaged 65 mph and the average MPG was 12.6, which is exactly what I've been getting around town with no load!:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread