Tried using the stock shifter boot on Pro 5.0

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I removed the stock shifter boot and put it on my Pro 5.0. It definitely cut down on the noise coming from the shifter, but I think that the rubber can sometimes get in between the handle and the stop bolt. This seems to happen sometimes when you shift into third gear. It still engages and drives normally, but seems to vibrate more than normal. Not sure if you can just reposition it, or cut some of it out, but I had heard of Toofastforu doing this to his Steeda Triax and thought I'd try it on my Pro 5.0. I removed it for now, maybe later I'll play with a little more. Do any of you with the Triax feel this extra vibration in third gear if you use the stock shifter boot?

shifter.jpg

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I don't have any information about the Pro 5.0 shifter but the Steeda shifter comes with a large washer which sits at the top of the shifter just below the boot to prevent the problem you are referring to.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
It (the added noise/vibration) is a normal result of installing the new shifter. You have removed the rubber insulators Ford installed in the handle to minimize it. It's worth the extra noise though!

The shifter should not actually be touching the stop bolts, if I remember the instructions correctly. You are supposed to back the stop bolt off 1 turn or something after you install the shifter, so the boot shouldn't be interfering.

Dana

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Well, this is the second Pro 5.0 I've installed, but I decided to try to use the boot off of the stock shifter. I think that rubber may have been getting caught between the gap of the bolt and the shifter. It is one complete turn. I'm use to the noise from the shifter, so I'll probably end up just leaving it off.

Last edited:

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by Redfire2003Cobr
I removed the stock shifter boot and put it on my Pro 5.0. It definitely cut down on the noise coming from the shifter, but I think that the rubber can sometimes get in between the handle and the stop bolt. This seems to happen sometimes when you shift into third gear.

what was the purpose of reusing the stock boot cover. i do not see any advantage by doing this. with all of the threads about this, you knew thier would be more noise. i personally like the 'racing' feel it gives. if you want less noise, i suggest you change the handle to a MGW adjustable. it comes with rubber bushings to deaden the noise. hope this helps!:dw:

MineralGrey03

Established Member
I used both rubber boots, cut the lower one per the directions. The upper one, as shown in your picture was installed, however in order to mitigate the rubber pinch syndrome, just install the top of the rubber in-between the handle attaching screws. Keeps the rubber out of the way. It does take some strong fingers to get it stretched over the lower screw but it does work. I've had mine off and on three times so far, switching back to the stock handle and finally to MGW. Enjoy the Pro-5.0, I think it works great.

John

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
You must cut the stock boot to fit per the instructions.

The addition of the aftermarket doesn't increase noise/vibration it just transfers it more from the tranny to the shifter due to the elimination of the rubber deadener.

-norcal_cobra

Cobra'03

Established Member
Roger that! The boot and the bushings serve different purposes.

The boot not only suppresses noise, but reduces infiltration of heat and exhaust fumes into the car, as well as vermin that may explore an entry point.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I guess I just didn't make myself clear ;) I did cut the bottom boot as per instructions, but if you look at the stock shifter that you took off of the car, it has another rubber boot on it. I took that boot off and put it on the Pro 5.0 which are not in the Pro 5.0 instructions. I've had a Pro 5.0 in my 95 GT for about 7 years, and am used to how noisy it is. Heh, I can't even here the difference in my Cobra because the exhaust is so loud ;)

Anyways, I ordered the MGW shifter on Monday and am looking forward to putting it on.

MineralGrey03, I think I'll try putting the boot between the two handle screws, that should work and was actually the answer I was looking for :)

Users who are viewing this thread