Trip report from my track day at TWS!

Andy M

Established Member
Ok, my first EVER track day in my life...and therefore my first excursion of this type in the R. Man did I have FUN!!!!!!:rolling:

I left my home this morning to pick up the R and got on the road after fueling and a cup of coffee at around 6:30. We just got a nice cool front in Houston and the temp this morning was in the low 40s... felt real good... very low humidity. I arrived in College Station (about 85 miles away) at around 7:40. It was even cooler over there as it is further north from Houston. Temps around the high 30s... again, very nice weather for running on the track.

After some catered breakfast, the instructors gave those of us (myself in the R, and another guy in a black M5) who were virgins some rules and advice for staying safe on the track. We then took to the track, with one of the instructors driving my R while I watched and observed from the driver's seat. We did about 4 laps of this, then he let me have the wheel. I checked the tire pressure and set all of them at 32 pounds cold. Then I came in after about 10 laps and they were now at 40 pounds... WOW!! and boy were they sticking like glue!

I learned a great deal today...and wanted to share some of my lessons learned...

1) I LOVED the entire experience and can't wait to do it again!!

2) I need a TON more experience at this before I ever get to call myself even mediocre.

3) The R is a wonderful machine on the track. The tires worked well, the brakes are outstanding... NEVER did they show any fading, even after all of the abuse I gave them today...god knows I was on the brakes waaaaay too much today as I am still a little timid into the turns. This I am sure will get better with more experience.

4) the 3.73 gears are wonderful for the TWS track!! Man, does it pull hard in 3rd gear!!!! Put a big grin on my face every time I stomped on the pedal!

5) Don't need the splitter at this track. Next time, I am leaving it at home.

6) I was checking my rear view mirrors waaaay too much and this was hampering my ability to be more aggressive. I will work on this next time.

7) Did I mention how much FUN I had today!! :D

8) The Porsches (and there were alot of them there today!!) are wonderful machines on the track for those guys who know how to handle them.

9) Man, I had a hard time keeping the "line" at first, but got better as the day wore on. I was on the brakes too much in each turn which hampered my ability to hold the correct line towards the apex. I will need to work on this.

Bottom line... I was very happy with my own performance, AND the R did a very good job of keeping me out of trouble.

And one more thing... ALL TRACK TIME today!!!!! No JACK TIME!!!! :D :D :D And nothing broke on my car!!

And now a few pics from today...

First, me and my R :D

View

the R amongst a sea of German cars!! She made a believer out of them by the end of the day!! ;)

View

and meet "Picchio" This is a 1600 pound SRPII prototype racecar which Momentum will be racing in the 24 hours at Daytona in Feb. 2002. They were pounding on it real hard today... Man, does that thing move!!!!!

View

Last edited:

JKCOBRA98

Established Member
Andy,

Thanks for the ride in the R.. What an awesome car.. Great exhaust.

I'm glad you had a good time out there.. remember practice, practice, practice..

Let me know when you want to have lunch!

Matt

Cobra-R

Established Member
Congrats Andy. :D

This open track stuff sure is addicting isn't it? Glad to see you had fun and didn't have any troubles. See what a little preventive maintainance does for you?(listening Kevin?)

Now, just put Road America on your scedule for next year so we can all have fun together. :)

Brian

kevin

way to go andy, better than drugs or alcohol!!!!

glad ya had fun, use them brakes, but be aware that after a while of real use, they will brake.

most folks don't understand the potential of the r (they see it as just another mustang) till they see it working.

let's see: tires, braided brake lines, rotors, pads, race gas, trailer, tools, jack stands , i think that's just a start.:D :D :D

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
way to go andy, better than drugs or alcohol!!!!

glad ya had fun, use them brakes, but be aware that after a while of real use, they will brake.

most folks don't understand the potential of the r (they see it as just another mustang) till they see it working.

let's see: tires, braided brake lines, rotors, pads, race gas, trailer, tools, jack stands , i think that's just a start.:D :D :D
Kevin,

I will plan on having to eventually replace the rotors...and of course the pads will wear down after a few more of these events?

You are right about most folks not understanding about the R... I was having some fun with a guy in a Porsche 944 Turbo (real fast car and man this guy can drive!!). He would get me on the turns, but then I would catch him given a little asphalt for the R to wind up..and with the 3.73 gears, man, it spools up quick now! I came out of the last turn onto the long straight heading towards turn one, and I quickly closed the gap by the time we were at the other end coming into ONE. Top speed for me before I lost my nerve was around 135. I am certain I could do 150+ with more experience. I KNOW the R can do it, but I need more experience before I will attempt it.

I rode with a guy in a new BMW M3 which really knew how to drive. He brought the car to the edge without ever losing it or losing traction. Man, what a car.

Bottom line though... the biggest thing I learned is: No matter how good the car is or how fast it is, the single best element for speed on this type of track is "Driver Know-How". I watched as a guy in a little convertible Porsche Boxster (not even the S model) was all over this other guy in a Twin Turbo. He had a 200 HP disadvantage but really knew how to drive. I rest my case!

One of the Porsche guys told me how good the R sounded coming down the straight at full throttle!

I can't wait to go again!

Last edited:

JoeJ

Established Member
Day at TWS

Andy,

Sure glad you enjoyed TWS. I knew you would love it. It is a fun track. Going down the straight and then turning into turn 1 is a thrill. I know I could take it faster but always ran out of guts. LOL.

I will be going up tomorrow afternoon and run Saturday and Sunday at TWS with the Houston Porsche club. They always have a bunch of nice cars there. It will be the first time I have ran at TWS with the 4.10 gears. Not sure how they will work. I think I will be tacked out in fifth gear going into turn one.

I sure enjoyed Hallett last weekend. Plum wore out a new set of Galpher brake pads on the two piece slotted Brembo rotors. I installed a new set of Performance Friction 90 pads today. I hope they will last a bit longer. I also have a set of Hawk HP plus pads that I am going to try next.

If you get a chance drive up sometime this weekend and see what you think of the event. They also have instructors who know the track really good.

Later,

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by JKCOBRA98
Andy,

Thanks for the ride in the R.. What an awesome car.. Great exhaust.

I'm glad you had a good time out there.. remember practice, practice, practice..

Let me know when you want to have lunch!

Matt
Matt,

no problem man.. I am sure there will ample opportunity in the coming weeks/months to drive the R to work...with the weather becoming cooler and all.

I will be in CA next week but will be contacting you the following week to schedule lunch some time.

Users who are viewing this thread