Truck sputters and dies, input needed..

68thoroughbred

Established Member
Buddy of mine has a 99' F-250. Says truck sputters often, and dies on occasion, always at low rpm's. He's changed the primary fuel filter and no change. He's about to change the fuel pump, but isn't sure of its location, hasn't looked for it yet, so any info on it would be appreciated. Also, read somewhere that a cam sensor sometimes causes this problem?? Not sure about that at all. His last thought is somebody put regular gas in it... Any help or info is appreciated.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Does the tach have dead spots, or doesn't work at all?? I would go have the codes pulled on it to start, but I would put my money on the CPS.

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
i doubt very seriousely if its a fuel pump, they rarely go out. when it dies, crank it and watch the tach if it dosen't start and the rpms don't move replace the cam sensor, its only a 32 dollar part from the ford dealership now so I would replace it anyways or atleast have a spare in my glovebox. good luck

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
99cobrablack said:
How long have they been that cheap?

A lot of dealerships have 'em for around $25 bucks.

The news spread at FTE that Ford dropped the humongous price tag a couple months back.

Stewart

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
More.

Most were going to local International parts house to buy them to save money over Ford, because International was selling them for right around $100 bucks.

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
I have 75K on mine and the only problem I've ever had is the sensor. I thought is was a crank sensor and not a cam sensor but I'm sure we are talking of the same thing. The truck would just die out and then a few minutes later, it would start back up and keep on going.

Jonwang822

Bign'Asian
Established Member
yea i picked up the cam sensor for bout 100 bucks....idk sucks for me. my dad has a 6.0 psd and his was actually the fuel pump. at only 37000miles...stupid low sulfur diesel fuel

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
+1 to that Jon. I am having problems with my 6.0 now. When trying to start the darn thing for the first time in the morning (well anytime of the day really), I have to keep the key turned and cranking before it will build any type of oil pressure. Then I let the key go and she will sputter like it isn't getting enough fuel, she will then just roll out white smoke.

I'm not sure what the exact problem is, but I have a sneaking feeling that it could be either the HPOP or LPOP gears, injectors, or egr/gasket failure somewhere on the head.

Jonwang822

Bign'Asian
Established Member
factory warrenty? lol...im lucky...not because i ended up with a dodge x( but because ive got a cummins=) ford needs to utalize a twin turbo v8 cummins...with a flux capicitor haha

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Running diesels every day, the only negative impact I have really noticed on fuel related problems is that ULSD gels way warmer and is faucking worthless in the cold.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
What engine does this truck have...unless i missed it

Well, it's a '99 F250, and the OP referred to the possibility the cam position sensor might be causing the problems he's listed, so we all just assumed the engine in question is a 7.3L PSD.

Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread