Trunk Compatibility & Faux Gas Cap- V6=GT?

RC-5.0

Established Member
Wanted to swap my GT/CS rear trunk with someone that has a V6 so that I can get the GT500 spoiler instead of the pedestal one that comes on the GT/CS.

We both have ingot silver and both have the black section between the lights.

1. is the trunk completely the same for swapping, and can the V6 have the GT500 spoiler added?

2. Is there any way that the faux gas cap can be removed so I can keep the CS insignia (and more importantly not have the V6 one)?
Thanks
RC

RC-5.0

Established Member
The pedestal spoiler is and aftermarket piece that has 2 extra holes drilled..those are exposed when the Stock or GT500 spoilers are installed.

RC

BenGB

Established Member
The faux gas cap takes a little work to get off but isn't too bad. There's adhesive tape and plastic clips holding it on so I'm thinking that you could just swap them and as long as the tape is in good shape they'll go back on with no problem.

RC-5.0

Established Member
The faux gas cap takes a little work to get off but isn't too bad. There's adhesive tape and plastic clips holding it on so I'm thinking that you could just swap them and as long as the tape is in good shape they'll go back on with no problem.

how do the clips come into play, and how would I know whether or not Im going to snap them?
RC

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
if it is an 11-12 for both hoods, you can take a nylon pry tool and pry the inner faux gas cap part where it says FORD on it out and just swap that. Taking off the entire faux gas cap is a huge PITA. I had to remove mine completely when I put a 2013 deck lid on my 2011 and I don't wanna do that again. I then also removed that inner piece so I could put it on the 2013 since the 2013 had a slightly damaged center cap.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Does it just "pop out" and "snap it"? In other words, if it's removed it can be reinserted without looking like crap?

Thanks
RC

Last edited:

cbrtrx

Established Member
Just be careful on a silver car, sometimes the color dosent match perfectly even when side by side they look the same. I had two factory painted silver cars side by side and they looked identical. I swapped the hoods on both and they did not really match very well, I believe its how the metallic in the paint lays down when it dries and no two cars are exactly the same, you may get lucky though.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Does it just "pop out" and "snap it"? In other words, if it's removed it can be reinserted without looking like crap?

Thanks
RC

yes, it is just held in place by 3M tape if I remember right. I have a faux gas cap new from FORD(thankfully got it off another forum for cheap!), the complete deal I was gonna pull apart and custom paint and put on my decklid. If you don't do it today I'll put it apart and take a few pictures for you so you can see what it would be like later when I am finally not busy.

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
So I remembered wrong on how it attatches. I was thinking about the 2013 decklid I took apart where the faux cap is only 3M taped into the decklid.

I grabbed some pictures for you. There are 5 plastic pins that hold the cap into the surround. I just broke all 5 of mine. The way they are put into the surround you really wouldn't be able to remove them without breaking them anyway.

Looks like you can just use some 3M tape to secure them after words though.

20130711_143133_zpscbffe876.jpg

20130711_143138_zps19f16c10.jpg

20130711_143141_zpscf5521f2.jpg

RC-5.0

Established Member
If the 6cyl is spoiler delete the struts are different.
Dan
The car has the little skinny spoiler on it already.

So I remembered wrong on how it attatches. I was thinking about the 2013 decklid I took apart where the faux cap is only 3M taped into the decklid.

I grabbed some pictures for you. There are 5 plastic pins that hold the cap into the surround. I just broke all 5 of mine. The way they are put into the surround you really wouldn't be able to remove them without breaking them anyway.

Looks like you can just use some 3M tape to secure them after words though.
Thanks for the pictures, but it's so close up it's hard to see what im looking at. Im trying to determine whether I have to remove the WHOLE cap and surroundings, then pry it apart, or just pop out the center and leave the "base" in there.

Thanks
RC

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Emblempro's has directions on their website. Just use fishing line to get thru the double sided tape and pull it off. I didnt break mine when i swapped emblems.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Emblempro's has directions on their website. Just use fishing line to get thru the double sided tape and pull it off. I didnt break mine when i swapped emblems.

Thanks...Ill look it up...Why did you change yours?
RC

RC-5.0

Established Member

I have the California Special One, so I will be keeping the center cap. All I need to know from you at this point is do you think If I just remove the entire piece from the trunk, is it fairly easy to clean off the back and re-attach it?

Thanks
RC

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I have the California Special One, so I will be keeping the center cap. All I need to know from you at this point is do you think If I just remove the entire piece from the trunk, is it fairly easy to clean off the back and re-attach it?

Thanks
RC

Yep, just be careful getting it off, take your time with the fishing line. thats the main thing. you may need to pull pretty hard to get it off if you cant get the line to get all of the tape because of the clips that go into the actual trunk wont let you get the tape in the middle. After you get it off, clean off the back real good with rubbing alcohol and make sure you get all of the excess tape off and the tape residue. Get some good double sided tape to put it on the new one and you should be good. When you take it off you will see where they had originally put the double sided tape. Just put the new tape where they had it originally amd line your tabs up and slap it on and your good.

Users who are viewing this thread