twice blown o3 cobra!

i8u

Established Member
I remember reading an article in mmff about and idea of placing a ceterfugal supercharger in front in front of the factory eaton on a L. The idea was to use the instant boost a roots supercharger provides untill the centrufugal spun fast enugh to become more effeciant ultumatly being bypassed around the roots (as it would otherwise become a restriction). would this not make the ultimate cobra!!? I already have the vortec kit that was on my 98 cobra. I am going to see If I can wait till my warrenty runs out before puting my plan together, but I couldn't wait on the 98 so who knows. Just have to find someone to tune the air/fuel ratio. Anyone know someone capable and up to the job?

Last edited:

mineral03

Established Member
Might be a good idea... just have to find some way to package it right. Add on a clutch onto the roots blower, that way you can completely disengage it when the centrifugal kicks in, so you dont have all that hp loss of the roots. Ive heard of it on some other engines, but i think they used a roots blower with a turbo, that way, the roots gets the car movin, and helps the turbos spool up, and then the turbo would take over from there.

1qwkpny

Established Member
It's entirely possible and it has been done before. I just spent the last .5hour digging through old "super fords", " 5.0 mustang", and "mmff" to find the one that I know I saw an article in about that very topic but go figure its no where to be found. Anyways, it could easily be done but it would be expensive. The better and more practicle choice would be to simply upgrade the factory eaton blower up to one of the Autorotor blowers because they are more efficient and move more air. They can also be upgraded much more easily. If your looking for someone that can tune anything I would speak to Jim Larocca, that man is a genious.

i8u

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. Consider the autoroter upgrade on an 03 with a vortec t trim. Also running intercoolers after each supercharger.

TcM-668

Mixed Mode Forced Induction.

Detroit Diesels use both a roots type blower and turbo chargers combined on many of their engines.

The Turbo sat on top of the blower and there was a set of bypass doors kinda like the IMRC setup that would allow the blower to push air at first then the turbo kicked in and the air would bypass around the blower.

I have heard of a Lightning that was setup with a centrifugal blower in conjunction with the roots type.

Just seems to be a lot of work to try and get a little more boost but it would be neat...

Don...

wuplash

Established Member
Re: Mixed Mode Forced Induction.

Originally posted by TcM-668
Detroit Diesels use both a roots type blower and turbo chargers combined on many of their engines.

The Turbo sat on top of the blower and there was a set of bypass doors kinda like the IMRC setup that would allow the blower to push air at first then the turbo kicked in and the air would bypass around the blower.

I have heard of a Lightning that was setup with a centrifugal blower in conjunction with the roots type.

Just seems to be a lot of work to try and get a little more boost but it would be neat...

Don...
which detroit diesel engines are you referring to.as i used to drive otr semi trucks for a living using the detroit 60 series engine it just has a turbo on it no roots blower in conjuction with it.

MayorofTrukvile

Established Member
Re: Re: Mixed Mode Forced Induction.

Originally posted by wuplash

which detroit diesel engines are you referring to.as i used to drive otr semi trucks for a living using the detroit 60 series engine it just has a turbo on it no roots blower in conjuction with it.

he is refering to older detroits 53, 71 series the 6vta-71 (238) was turbo'd and blown to make 300hp there was others v6, v8 and inline 4 that used gear driven blowers and turbos

Detroit tried some cutting edge concepts to make hp but was plaqued with other problems slobering no lugging power ect. ect. and was the first to use ecm to control the fuel pump personaly if it dont say mack or have a Big yellow engine under the hood I wouldnt be seen in it

RollinLimp2001

Established Member
Twice blown pics

These are pics from a lightning, but they should help pacify you for now...:D

3.jpg

1.jpg

i8u

Established Member
how much power do you make? Can you hear both blowers? when does your novi bypass you m-112? sorry about all the questions, but Thats awsome!!

Cat Breath

Established Member
Dual blower setups like this one look way cool, IMO. Beyond looks though, I don't really see the point. Especially since you can make your vehicle almost unstreetable with just one blower. Seems to me that top end power would be greater without the eaton in the way (Just the NOVI) and low end power suffers as well because it's spinning an extra blower that's not doing anything until the rpm at which it starts making boost. So you end up sacrificing power accross the board just to have a high output motor give great low end torque.
That inefficiency hits the pocket book that much harder since Chet said he was buying 100 octane gas at $4/gal! Ouch! This guy must be loaded. :)

RollinLimp2001

Established Member
When you look at a engine like the lightning has that has a fairly low redline (5250) you don't have much room to make big power. So where you can get it, you take it. Especially when your vehicle is a brick! As far as his particular setup goes, I'm not sure if I see the point either. It looks like the paxton is going through the eaton after it builds up boost. Don't see how that works. I would have some sort of way to bypass the eaton and go directly into the intake, but still across the intercooler. Would be nice to see a dyno plot on the NOVI to see if it builds up enough steam to overide the eaton, and if so by how much before it redlines...would be nice...

Users who are viewing this thread