Two questions: Who here welds, and what would you do FIRST?

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
OK,
First of all, I'm going to buy a MIG machine and start practicing welding. I'll first use fluxcore and then perhaps use argon, and then maybe invest in a TIG machine later on if I need it (chrome-molly roll bar, etc). Well, I have a dilemma, and here it is:

I have some money for either buying two T25 turbos for a twin turbo setup (spools rather fast on a 302 since they're not that large) or going ahead and spending the money on the MIG machine for welding. Of course, just because I have the turbos, doesn't mean I'm nearly done. I'll have to fab up some exhaust piping, upgrade the fuel system (I already have a BBK 255 in tank pump, Aeromotive fuel regulator, but I need 42# injectors, and a MAF calibrated for the injectors) so I'm not nearly done getting all of the parts for the twin setup. So, do you think I should buy the MIG welding machine or spend the money on the two turbos, and then buying the MIG machine later. What would be the most sensible thing you think, the welder first? That's what I'm thinking. Any suggestions will be appreciated :D

Edit for typos :bash:

Last edited:

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
i am a welder, get the machine first, once you learn how to burn some wire you can always do some side jobs to pay for the turbos and the welder!!!!btw, forget about the fluxcore and go to the gas setup. too bad you are in sc, i have a huge rollaway full of scrap you could practice on.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Thanks,
Are you saying use the gas first 'cause the gas makes cleaner welds? How much does it cost for the gas and necessary hardward? Thanks :D

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
i am a welder, get the machine first, once you learn how to burn some wire you can always do some side jobs to pay for the turbos and the welder!!!!btw, forget about the fluxcore and go to the gas setup. too bad you are in sc, i have a huge rollaway full of scrap you could practice on.

I.V. Bolt.

Established Member
No need for the flux core. Flux core is mostly used deep penetration. Just get the MIG and a tank of argon mix. You can get a small Miller for around $600 new. I really dont know what you want it for, what type of material your welding, but this welder is very good for around the house. I know that you can change the wire in it to weld different materials but dont know if theres wire for chromoly. No need to buy a tig welder you can use a regular stick welder, buy the stinger and hoses, some gas, reverse the polarity and your set.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
It's for exhaust pipes to weld. Both the cold and hot side for the turbo setup. Isn't the flux core a lot cheaper though?

I.V. Bolt.

Established Member
I removed the cats on my L and used regular wire with gas. Ive used fluxcore and its hotter it would burn through muffler pipes. I think regular wire is cheaper besides it will last a while.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
get the argon mix if anything the gas keeps the metal you are welding cooler so you doint burn through, if i am not mistaken

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
So what's the cheapest way just to get the stuff welded :lol: What kind of wire, gas, etc. I don't mind if the welds are messy, I just want them to be welded :D

CaptNemo

Evil Genius
Established Member
A Millermatic 135 is in the low $400 range. It'll be set up for gas and will have enough capacity for roll cages and light chassis work.

Once you pass gas, you won't drag slag...

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
you should mind if hte welds are messy, no need to go through the trouble of making your own setup if its going to look like shit

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
so flux core isn't the regular wire? I thought it came w/ it or something. I'll go to a local tool shop hopefully this week and ask them about what they have and advice as well. I have a few friends at church who said they'd help me get started! :D

JMD0346

Established Member
Go to palmetto welding supply. I think there is one close to you. Ill look tomorrow when I get to my shop. They can get you exactly what you need for a good price. I just bought a lincoln 135 mig. Not for the shop but because its very light and portable and runs off 110. Its good for exhaust pipes, sheet metal, and up to schedule 40 (3/16" side wall) pipe.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Cool, do you know about how much that'd roughly cost? Could I get what I need for under $400? Thanks again :)

JMD0346

Established Member
I got the 135 for $400. It comes with everything you need. All lines and hoses, tips, roll of wire, shield, and a gauge. All else you need is a bottle which can be purchased for $110 I think. That is for a 3 foot bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread