under drive pulley

95lightning

Established Member
i am going to get some new under drive pulley, and i was just wondering if different brands make a bigger difference. like if one brand is better then the others. cause if not i am just going to go get the ones that cost 100 in thefordsource.com. thanks. :coolman:

pkorody

I have Hypertech's steel pulley set that works well.. Watch the alternator at stoplights... it will dip to the low 12's if not working properly. Especially if you have added any electronics..ie. stereo amps. My honest opinion... don't use the pulleys unless you are racing the truck, strip or track. For everyday driving.. you probably won't be able to tell the difference anyway. You can play around and get a 2" pulley for the alternator to get the idle RPMS up on the alternator but then you are buying another pulley. If you are still interested in the pulleys after this.... I would be happy to supply you with the necessary part numbers and souces...

Good luck.

95lightning

Established Member
pkorody,
i use the truck as a daily driver but i run it every weekend. would you still advise me not to get them still. and what were you saying about the alternator, can you be a little more specific. if you do think i should get them then slap the part # on me. if anyone reading this can give me some additional advice i would appreciate it. thanks.

pkorody

Here it goes... You can purchase the Hypertech underdrive setup for the 93-95 Lightning but only use the crank and H2O pulleys. For the alternator, use a 2", 6 ribbed pulley off of a Delco/Delphi (yes a GM part, but don't tell anyone) CS121D - CS130D, OEM# 10476389 (52MM x 17MM x 21MM). Roughly $5.00. You will still use the new belt included with the Hypertech kit, which is now even easier to install.....since it is very tight using Hypertech's alt. pulley. Not a good choice on their part. Word of advice... use the supplied allen bolts when installing the crank pulley, if you re-use the stock bolts that you take off you will have a hell of a time removing them in the future..I found out the hard way. You should be able to get everything for under $100 and doesn't take long to install... also it will be helpful to have a pneumatic impact gun for removing the alternator pulley.. the nut tends to get tighter over the years and you will need the gun to remove properly. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you need further help. I can tell the difference with the pulleys installed and for under $100 its worth it. But don't get your hopes up too high.... they're only pulleys.

John O'Donal

I have "March Underdrives" the battery stays charged, the still look like new 5 yrs later, there was a slight power increase when i installed them, motor seemed less strained,
You may want to change your thermostat to a 180 degree to keep the temp down in the summer.
Good luck
John O
engine.jpg

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
The very first mod (not much after) I did to mine was March 3-piece black painted steel UD pulleys. I called and explained it was (at the time) a daily driver and I could not decide between the aluminum or steel units. He recommended the seel units for a daily driver and that's what I went with! I think they are of good quality and I've never had a charge decrease with them either. I just picked the March's to try them to see what they were like. I had prevously had ASP steel's on an '89 GT, and on the Cobra I have BBK aluminum's, but have the stock alt. pulley back on cuz the BBK alt. pulley for Mustangs is just HUGE and it drags the charging system down too much.

It's hard to tell if I really gained much on the L with the pulleys... I DID require a different belt with the March units, which I wish would of been stated to upon puchase.

The next time I get pulleys for a Ford, I'll try the blue Motorsport units... just to try them.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
Thanks Tim.........

Yeah, not a problem.
If he decided to go with the March units, I still have the aftermarket belt holder (lifetime warranty DAYCO belt) with my stock belt in it, so I could look to see what size belt I had to get if need be. I got lucky, I guessed as to how much shorter of a belt I needed and got it right the first try... :ud:

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Nooo... just put the stock belt on, pulled it tight and looked at how much extra I had and went and got a belt with that much less!

Even you could do it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread