UPDATE on turbo project / I think I know why my car ran so slow at the track last!

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Ok, I'll post some pics of the progress w/ the turbo project. Right now I'm just working on getting some stuff out of the engine bay and cleaning it up. I removed the smog pump today, along w/ the strut tower brace and spark plugs and BBK CAI (the Smog pump, of course, is not going back on the car, the rest it). Well, I was working on the car and decided to try to check timing for the first time (never done it before) so I pull the spout out, and try to crank the car, NOTHING! So I put the spout back in the distributor and crank the car and she fires up like normal, so I walk to the engine and pull the spout out while it's running and it immediately goes dead! So apparently my car won't run w/ the spout out. I also noticed my balancer looks wobbly, someone on Corral.net suggested that my balancer is mest up so it's throwing off timing, so the car can only run w/ the computer controlling the timing (hence it won't run w/ the spout out). So I think I need to replace the balancer :bash: I've never done this before, but does anyone know if it can be done w/ the engine in the car? I guess it can, it looks like you should be able to easy, I just didnt' know since it's a balancer, etc. Anyway here are some pics (I'll attach them in the following posts)

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
The Advanced Auto plastic bag is over the opening of the intake, I was just trying to make sure nothing got in my engine :thumbsup: After I removed the strut tower brace, everything got like 80% easier to do, I wish I had done this earlier!

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
car should run just fine with the plug out of the wireing harness
not really sure why it is not:shrug:
WHY OH WHY IS THE MOTOR ORANGE!!!!! i hope you plan on changing it:nonono:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
:lol: @ Lightnin mike.

I think I may have been pulling out the wrong "spout" (more info here: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=377271)
I asked the previous owner why he painted the block the way he did, he said he painted it "red" to be different. I guess the red didn't come out, 'cause I think it's orange as well. Whenever I pull the engine, I'm planning having all the excess holes welded up, have the bay bead blasted, and then having it painted the same color as the exterior of the car, and as for the shortblock, I'd like to paint it black I suppose. I'm thinking of a chrome/black engine w/ the color of the car in the bay area on the shock tower, strut tower, etc. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread