Vibration at 80 MPH

docs03

Established Member
I know I saw a thread somewhere on this, but my search couldn't find it. I was on the freeway yesterday and at 70-80 MPH my vert had a real bad shake while in 6 th gear. Anybody else have this problem?? Any ideas on what it could be? I have only 175 miles on it so far. Any suggestions would appreciated. Thanks

Black Cobra

Established Member
I would just take it back to the dealer and tell them what it's doing. That's what the warranty is for.

The vibration could be coming from any number of moving objects. Could be the tires, wheels, brake rotors, drive shaft, hopefully not the engine.

FINICKY

Established Member
i was one of the people involved in the other tread about this. my car does the same thing at 80 mostly on the gas and gets worse the faster you go......last i heard dealers were ordering drive shafts but that didnt work. I kinda want them to figure out the problem first before i take mine in soo ill be watching.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Mine seems to have a little "resonanse" (sp??) at 80 MPH. You can start to feel it around 75, and it is mostly gone by 85, at 90 and up smooth as glass. I had my '99 Cobra back several times for vibe issues, this one seems different, for right now I just plan to live with it. In my case I don't think anything is wrong, just hitting the natural frequency of some rotating or group of rotating parts... I think randomly changing out parts (driveshaft, etc) is likely to move it to a different speed and or make it worse.
JT

Mowgli

Established Member
I too have noticed that vibration around 80 now. Just got my coupe last night, and have 130 miles on it.
Haven't taken it up much past 80 to see if it gets worse.

03mineral

Established Member
vibration

I and many others have had the same exact thing and svt and the local dealers act like they have never heard of it. all should call and tell them about it.
o3mineral
Originally posted by Black Cobra
I would just take it back to the dealer and tell them what it's doing. That's what the warranty is for.

The vibration could be coming from any number of moving objects. Could be the tires, wheels, brake rotors, drive shaft, hopefully not the engine.

silvercoffin

Established Member
wow

I am amazed and I guess incredibly lucky that my car doesn't have any problems aside from a fog light leaking. Is that how it starts? haha

I hear more road noise around 80 but dont actually feel a vibration. I have been assuming its cause of the wider tires. Over all there is more road noise from the bottom of the car than my 01 GT. I have had the car up to 130.

How Noticable is the vibration? Is it as bad as alignment problem dash shaking kind of vibration?

Again I dont mean to rub it in, but its hard to believe my car is ok when so many people have so many problems!

92LX5.0

Established Member
good for u Silver, nice to hear they did a few right :coolman:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I read a thread on this posted on the BON. It was by Fred G. The dealer replaced the drive shaft and as I recall, that lessened the vibration, but didn't eliminate it. I also think they said someone from SVT was going to go down there to check it out, but I don't know if that ever happened as I've not checked that thread recently. You might try looking for that thread. If I come across it myself, I'll post the link. Good luck.

Mowgli

Established Member
Well, drove it tonight.

Going up past 80 it seemed to get progressively and steadily worse. That is, no sudden jumps or maxing in vibration. Nor did it level off or lessen. Took it up to 95mph.

My impression now is that its tire "noise" and not a drivetrain vibration necessarily. I put in the clutch and it made no difference.

However, after a couple high speed passes, its seemed to have died down abit. ALthough this impression is highly subjective. I'll keep an eye on it for now, put some more miles on it, and keep watching the other threads and this one.

Users who are viewing this thread