Video: Ford's new 6R140 compared to the GM Allison 1000

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
This is going to be a hell of a truck.

I was thinking of an F150 w Ecoboost next year, but I may have to re think this. A fifth wheel is probably in my future, so..

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I personally believe the current 5R110 is a better tranny than Allison.

I don't know man. While neither is perfect, the Ford troubles seem to be more serious in nature. We've had real bad luck with the main planetary pins on the Ford breaking off and causing some serious damage to the tranny. That was a crappy design any way you want to look at it. The torque converters also seem to generate lots of heat and just crap out. The Allison on the other hand, has been pretty much mechanically trouble free.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I don't know man. While neither is perfect, the Ford troubles seem to be more serious in nature. We've had real bad luck with the main planetary pins on the Ford breaking off and causing some serious damage to the tranny. That was a crappy design any way you want to look at it. The torque converters also seem to generate lots of heat and just crap out. The Allison on the other hand, has been pretty much mechanically trouble free.

What years are having those problems? That's the first I've heard of those issues.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
What years are having those problems? That's the first I've heard of those issues.

05-07 so far. The main planetary has these aluminum pins that can break off.

We are really hard on our trucks, and would not expect most people to experience the problems we see.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Never heard of it till now GTSpartan... I've always heard the allison's were worthless above stock HP, and I know the 5R's are good up till around 550hp...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
05-07 so far. The main planetary has these aluminum pins that can break off.

We are really hard on our trucks, and would not expect most people to experience the problems we see.

Never heard of that one. The 08s got a few upgrades, replacing those pics may have been one of them.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Never heard of it till now GTSpartan... I've always heard the allison's were worthless above stock HP, and I know the 5R's are good up till around 550hp...

Same here. My 2005 6.0L w/ 420whp & 790wtq has yet to have an issue with the tranny. Yet DMax's take a dump on Edges canned tune

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

Never heard of that one. The 08s got a few upgrades, replacing those pics may have been one of them.

Same here. My 2005 6.0L w/ 420whp & 790wtq has yet to have an issue with the tranny. Yet DMax's take a dump on Edges canned tune

Like I said, we are really hard on our trucks (concrete/ tilt wall construction company) and eventually see problems with all three makes. The 6.0 Ford's were particulary problematic for us. All our trucks are stock, and the few I've modded in the past have always eventually had big problems.

It tended to happen during frequent D to R shifts and vice versa. Lots of frequent shifting under heavy load. Unless you're beating the hell out of these truck, I wouldn't imagine seeing these issues.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Like I said, we are really hard on our trucks (concrete/ tilt wall construction company) and eventually see problems with all three makes. The 6.0 Ford's were particulary problematic for us. All our trucks are stock, and the few I've modded in the past have always eventually had big problems.

It tended to happen during frequent D to R shifts and vice versa. Lots of frequent shifting under heavy load. Unless you're beating the hell out of these truck, I wouldn't imagine seeing these issues.

Actually there was less warranted work done on the late build 2005's thru 2007's than the last few years of the production 7.3L's 2000 to 2002's

Users who are viewing this thread