Vinyl wrapping roof.

GHIG'13

Established Member
So any of you guys that had the roof of your car wrapped, what is the average price to have it done. I just went by two local places and one quoted me $250 the other $500. Is this about right or should I keep looking? Thanks for any input fellows.

Vert

Established Member
250 is a little high and its not hard to do yourself. Check amazon and ebay out and go with 3m or oracle vinyl.

Nuar

Established Member
Anyone actually try to remove the vinyl after some time? How did that go?
I've seen one horror sorry where the entire clear coat for destroyed when removing the vinyl. That one guy is what kept me from trying black vinyl on my roof :(

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Anyone actually try to remove the vinyl after some time? How did that go?
I've seen one horror sorry where the entire clear coat for destroyed when removing the vinyl. That one guy is what kept me from trying black vinyl on my roof :(

this ONLY happens if you use shitty vinyl / adhesive compound that shouldn't be going on cars / aftermarket paint job.

My tahoe has been wrapped for some time and I've had to pull off two sections to re-wrap, and the paint under neath looks as clean as when I put the vinyl on.

but @ op. The roof is INCREDIBLY easy to wrap, probably the easy section on the car. If you have a girlfriend / friend you could easily do it yourself in under an hour. It took me 30 minutes to vinyl wrap my roof by myself (an hour if you count cleaning the roof). Materials ran me about 50$ to cover the roof, so figure anything over 50$ is purely what someone is charging you for labor. And keep in mind pretty much anyone whose dealt with vinyl before can do this task, so you are essentially paying someone 200$ in labor for a 30 minute to hour long job MAXIMUM (if they know what they're doing).

Nuar

Established Member
Good to know! Any recommendation on which products to use?
Maybe a quick run down on how it is performed?

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Oracle or 3M is what I've used in the past and liked them. If you use Oracle get the 970RA.

So its pretty self explanatory. First thing I would do is rip out the weather stripping on the roof. The Stripping is held in place by 3 clips that are 3M taped to the car. use a tool to get up under there to pop out one end and slowly work your way down to pop out the others. Depending on how long you've had the car you might pull off some of the tape due to dryness, so you might want to get some double sided tape if you are concerned about this. Now that you've got the weather stripping out make sure you thoroughly clean the entire roof. I'd suggest claybar as it will remove all the dirt that will show through once you put the vinyl on. Once you do this its time to apply the vinyl. I would NOT recommend trying to do this by yourself your first time, I almost guarantee you will mess up and end up wasting the vinyl. Measure out the vinyl and make sure its long enough. Then with one person on each side you are gonna wanna pull the vinyl as tight as you can. each person pulling towards each corner to make sure its tight. While still pulling the vinyl tight start lowering it towards the roof and try to get it to lay flat as possible without creases. If you get creases pull the vinyl off the car and use a heat gun or hair dryer about a foot away from the vinyl until the creases disappear. The goal here is to lay it as flat as you can without creases. You will surely have bubbles, but the materials I suggested have easy bubble removal. You will want to work your way from the center of the roof outwards, removing all bubbles. You will want to wrap the vinyl into the weather stripping gutters, this is where you will cut the vinyl. Also make sure to give yourself slightly more room as when vinyl dries the edges will shrink ever so slightly. It should be pretty easy with two people. If you notice some bubbles pop up when you are finished, poke a tiny hole in the bubble with a needle and let it sit out in the sun on a hot day. Making sure you press down the vinyl while applying will help to reduce the amount of bubbles that pop up when you are finished.

lmk if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I bought a precut piece from American Muscle. Wife and I installed it in about an hour. Perfect fit.

Edit: no longer see it on their site.

Last edited:

GHIG'13

Established Member
FIVEHOE, thanks for the recommendations and walkthrough on the install. I will definitly be trying this myself. 5spd07gt, I was looking at the AM one but it disappeared from their website before I ordered it. Guess I need to quit being cheap and start buying this stuff but trying to save up for a return style fuel system too. Thanks again guys.

saps

The roof isn't very hard I did it in my garage just take your time and be patient, however if you want something like a hood done take it to a pro because its very labor intensive to get around the lines on our hoods.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Buddy and I installed a pre cut kit from AM having never done it before, took us about 1 hour... Came out sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread