Washington state exhaust law changed???

vennom

99/03 hybrid
Established Member
Just got done doing some research after a buddy of mine got an exhaust ticket and here is what i found.

The old exhaust law I found in an old post http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224708&highlight=rcw

RCW 46.37.390
3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection so that the vehicle's exhaust noise exceeds ninety-five decibels as measured by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May, 1998). It is not a violation of this subsection unless proven by proper authorities that the exhaust system modification results in noise amplification in excess of ninety-five decibels under the prescribed SAE test standard. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

In a nutshell it states that your exhaust can be modified but it cant be more than 95 decibles as measured by the SAE testing methods.

The new law:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.390

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

The new law in a nutshell, you cant have a modified exhaust that is any louder than stock.

Apparently flowmaster catback is loud enough to warrent getting two tickets in 3 days making the trip from pullman to Seattle. . .under the speed limit.

This is so annoying and frankly a pain in the a$$.

torquemonster

Established Member
Ill just put it in 5th and say bye bye cop...:burnout:

Wow that is amazingly stupid...however i dont care, im not making my car quieter.

wythors

Needs a bigger garage
Established Member
About a year ago I thought about this issue long and hard. I pondered it at length. I wondered what I should do. I puzzled over how to deal with it.

Then I put SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust on both cars.

:pepper: :banana: :rockon:

Topherbleh

Beer Master
Established Member
Hopefully cops wont be assholes about it. I would think they would pull over more honda civics with fart cannons than muscle cars.

10Key

Established Member
So you got pulled over on the highway? Were you cruising in 3rd gear? I don't understand, I doubt your exhaust is loud enough to draw attention when cruising on th highway in fifth. Am I missing something here? That sucks.

svtcobras

www.htsracing.com
Established Member
Re

Just goes to show what your elected officials are WASTING time on. All the while, seems child molesting and murder is on the news everyday.

vennom

99/03 hybrid
Established Member
was in the car with a friend of mine 5th gear at 60 looooowww rpms, thing is he said it wasnt loud just that it wasnt stock so its illegal.
Ghey

10Key

Established Member
Wow, sounds like the copper was trolling...Where were you pulled over? I drove from Pullman to Tri-Cities in my old 5.0 notch that had 2-chamber flows a zillion times w/o any problems. That was a few years ago, so maybe the crack-down has started?

71stang99

Established Member
God as much as I like Washington (East side) and still own property it sucks that the state becomes more liberal and restrictive each year, my dad was just visiting and mentioned about the smoking ban in bars and I could not understand how the state is turning more and more California by the day.

suprjagr

WHIPPLED 21LBS.
Established Member
ITS THE PROCESS OF PUSSIFICATION OF MALES...Are we not living in a society where men are allowed to men, what the #### is going on here?

10Key

Established Member
"ITS THE PROCESS OF PUSSIFICATION OF MALES...Are we not living in a society where men are allowed to men, what the #### is going on here?"

You a fan of Michael Savage? If you aren't, you should be.

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
10Key said:
"ITS THE PROCESS OF PUSSIFICATION OF MALES...Are we not living in a society where men are allowed to men, what the #### is going on here?"

You a fan of Michael Savage? If you aren't, you should be.

:lol:
I second that, I listen to him at work al the time.

I have yet to hear about anyone in the seattle metro area geting popped for loud/illegal exhaust. I talked to a couple of WSP guys that I know about it. They said it's not a high priority for them, and would only write if they were pulling over someone for something else(seat belt, speeding,etc.) One of the guys even has a modded Cobra, that's pretty loud. I'm not to worried about the laws, I'm more concerned with WA trying to adopt the CA emissions laws. Then we would all get the sniffer every year, and inspections for not so on-road friendly parts. Everything done would have to be certified and documented and approved for road use.

Users who are viewing this thread