Water injection for superchargers

lxtacy

Hello peeps,
I have an 8 lb S-trim on a stock 5.0 motor. I've been hearing a lot lately regarding water injection systems for supercharged applications. Has anyone here installed one on their car? If so, how were the power gains? How often do you have to refill the water resevoir? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Oh, and were can I get one?

Blown306

Established Member
There is ZERO power gain from adding water injection. It only allows you to run more boost, timing, lower octane or any combination of those due to the cooling effect of the water mist. It's a great idea for those not running inter/aftercoolers.

Kenne Bell sells a kit, but I think this setup is about the best I've been able to find so far:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

I've heard usage is about 1 quart of water to a tank of fuel...

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
Originally posted by Blown306
There is ZERO power gain from adding water injection.

This could be misleading. I'm glad to see someone is interested in this. Water has a very high specific heat. Anyway, there is an very good chance you will see a power difference in your application. If you have a knock sensor, and can read it, you will see a HUGE drop in knocks. Water has 6 times the octane of race fuel... and in small amounts is a good thing. Its so counter intuitive, but it really works. Aquamist is used in rally cars, enough said. --great product. On a turbo application, I was able to run 14 psi on pump gas with an acceptible amount of knocks. With water injection, I can run 18psi on pump gas and have considerably LESS kocks--almost none. In a non intercooled supercharged application, your EGTs will drop (no melted pistions) and your knocks will drop.

Blown306

Established Member
Yes...it's a little misleading, but I wanted to make the point. Water injection (and inter/aftercooling as well) do not in themselves make any power. They simply allow you make more power (cooling the air charge, raising the octane (in the case of H2O inj) and all those good things that go along).

Just trying to keep the info correct...other wise we end up with everyone calling nitrous 'NOS' instead ;-)

Speaking of that, you can use a little spray of N2O instead of water injection, I've done that for awhile on my engine. But H2O and the delivery system is much cheaper to run. I'm going to be installing a water injection system soon. Also, from my research on it, the best results have been using a mix of 50/50 water and alcohol.

Like captain4g63 indicated, a lot of the turbo guys run it. Might want to poke around the GN boards to get more insight about it...

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
Yes, the 50/50 is the best configuration. I used to do that but water is free, and didnt see much benifit if any.

Blown306

Established Member
Agreed...maybe they added alcohol to keep it from freezing in the colder climates...

Wasn't it Saab or Volvo who attempted to put water injection on production cars? I think they dropped it because owners weren't refilling the water causing engines to air out.

lxtacy

Originally posted by Blown306
Agreed...maybe they added alcohol to keep it from freezing in the colder climates...

Hmmm.. I thought the alcohol would help the water evaporate quickly.

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
I can assure you climate is not the reason alcohol was originally used.

Last edited:

redaddiction

Project Venom
Established Member
Alchohol is there to raise the octan level of the fuel. Also the reason you use water is it basically steam cleans the top end of the motor if you used alky/water injection when you took your motor apart there would be no carbon buildup. Also when using alky/water it takes less fuel because the alchohol is fuel.

Bostard

Established Member
I have been seriously shopping for a kit and am waiting for a reply from someone running one with great success. Anyone????

Torqemonster

Established Member
I know a guy that has this kit on his supercharged F-150, he says that you notice the difference mostly at high RPM but it works...don't expect it to feel like a nitros shot

Last edited:

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
It works like race gas. Stops knock, physically and chemically. Its not a fuel though, so obviously its not as good, but its free.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread