Watson roll bar install questions

cloud9

Established Member
Got the down bars marked and bolted in place ad ready to drill the trunk. Any recommendations on bits for anyone that's drilled this chassis? It's really tough to drill. Broke three bits installing the jack pads on the pinch weld.

Also, does anyone know the torque spec for the 8mm bolts that secure the main hoop to the B pillar? They were little more than finger tight when I removed them. Watson said it's not in the service manual and recommended 44 ft/lbs, but that seems like a lot. The seat bolts are larger and only call for 35 ft/lbs.

20160130_151726_zpsstkwlrqr.jpg

20160130_152052_zpsjfenlch2.jpg

Last edited:

cloud9

Established Member
The OEM bolts were only 8.8 so I just ended up swapping them for grade 10.9 M8 x 1.25 x 30mm and SAE 5/16 grade 8 washers.

cloud9

Established Member
Gary, do you have any clear shots of the Watson RSD kit?
Here you go. I just picked up my new tow rig last night and plan to put the car on the trailer tomorrow. I need to haul it to a buddy's with a lift next Saturday to finish bolting up the rear supports for the down bars. I'll finish installing the RSD then and take some photos of it installed.

20160130_111228_zpseosifubk.jpg

20160130_135031_zps40k6bgio.jpg

20160131_095311_zpseefzjdno.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks Gary. Looking forward to seeing how everything looks when in place.

Do you know what material is being used for the panels that look to be sewn in?

Regarding drilling, I've had good luck doing field work with a pilot and then a Unibit, such as one of these.

cloud9

Established Member
Thanks Gary. Looking forward to seeing how everything looks when in place.

Do you know what material is being used for the panels that look to be sewn in?

Regarding drilling, I've had good luck doing field work with a pilot and then a Unibit, such as one of these.
Are you referring to the support blocks sewn in under the seat panels? I'm not sure but am guessing some type of styrofoam wrapped in carpet.

I have some good step bits like that I used when drilling my bumper beam for the kill switch on my battery relocation kit on the Boss. Trick is not to burn through an extra step or two :)

Users who are viewing this thread