What are these VGT turbos i keep hearing about?

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
Over the last few days i have been hearing a lot about turbos that have no lag called vgt. Can someone explain to me how long these have been out/ or when they come out and how there is no lag?

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
HAVEIGHT 13R said:
I thought they were designed for diesels, but I may be wrong.

They can be used on anything. Just a matter of application. My new Duramax has one. Still has lag just a bit, but when I hit 2000rpm, watch out! Yesterday, I outran a Passat! Man that guy was pissed.
Anyway, the version on the Duramax has it's own microcontroller for the vanes. So not only are variable geometry turbos expensive, they are way complicated.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
A VGT Turbo system of our cars would be SICK. The only problem is getting an electronic maganagement system to control the variable vanes inside the turbo to make them work correctly for our cars.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
So i am guessing, in simple terms its like putting your finger over a part of a hose so it will shoot faster??? This actually makes a lot of sense to me. I bet this kit would cost an assload though.

nimesis

The International 6.0(powerstroke) uses one. Its like having a smaller turbo at low rpm, and then having it expand as rpm increases. The main design is to eliminate lag and the wastegate. There great for stock (emissions,reliability,etc) but for high performance, there always replaced.

xjeeper

Established Member
They have been around on diesels for years. One of the old shelby dodge omni cars had one (gasoline motor) but they didnt last too long. The reason they work on diesels is due to the lower EGT's found burning diesel fuel. Bosch has created some amazing new ceramics capable of withstanding the heat found in gasoline cumbustion.... basically, you will burn out a vgt designed for a diesel motor in short order, literally cook it. Its only a matter of time until the aftermarket gets ahold of the fancy bosch ceramic material that allows vgt's to be reliably used on gas motors.

The bosch vgt turbo's were designed specifically for the 997 porsche 911's. No need for a wastegate, boost is all regulated by the vanes in the turbo. Cool stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread