What chip for 97 Cobra w/few mods

hantzis

Established Member
I've come to the assumption that my cobra could really benefit from a chip.

Mods are:

2 cat gutted h-pipe
MAC Catback exhaust
MAC CAI

Even with these mods I'm only pushing 262rwhp. I just had hte engine tuned up(plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc).

So what chip would you recommend? Which ones can be programmed live on the dyno? Where's a good place to buy?

I was thinking about a Unichip, but it is very expensive. The tech believes he can squeeze out 10rwhp across the band with this chip. The total cost with dyno tuning, chip and install runs around $1000. Should I save my money and go with a Diablo chip, or other?

Thanks!
Dean

Tao Te Ching

Established Member
I wouldnt recommend a chip at this point. It really wont help much unless you have a good list of mods. I have the Diablo chip, and even tuned I didnt even get 10RWHP out of it. Also I would get rid of the restrictive stock exhaust and go with an OffRoad X or H pipe.

cenwesi

Established Member
what if i have the long tube headers, H pipe, 4:10 and soon (U/D pulley) will the diablo chip help. Btw, a friend of mine is selling his diablo chip for $150 and i was thinking about snagging it frrom him. Please keep in mind the car also has other mods that i dont recal what they are, need to get the list from my mechanic again.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Originally posted by cenwesi
what if i have the long tube headers, H pipe, 4:10 and soon (U/D pulley) will the diablo chip help. Btw, a friend of mine is selling his diablo chip for $150 and i was thinking about snagging it frrom him. Please keep in mind the car also has other mods that i dont recal what they are, need to get the list from my mechanic again.

You don't know what's been modified on your own car???? Wow!! :loser:

A chip can always help, it won't hurt. HOWEVER, how much it helps ultimately depends on what's been done to the car and if it allows for adjustment.

So, if I were you I'd buy the chip as long as it's a reprogrammable chip. That way you can get it changed with any mods you do in the future that may allow for some more HP.

BlackCobra96

I don't know if you're going to get any benefit from a chip. It might be worth while if you're going supercharged. Or if you get an off-road X pipe, you can use it to turn off the Malfunction Indicator Light. I agree with PowerCobra98, make sure that you get a reprogrammable chip. But you'd probably be better off with pullies.

Users who are viewing this thread