What mods would I need to beat a SVT Lightning??

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
I have not been to a 1/4 mile track yet, the closest one is 2 hours away in Memphis. But I have been told to add 2 sec. to my 1000ft time and that will be about right. If that is the case then my 1/4 mile time would be 13.59. That can be qiucker the colder is gets just keep that in mind. ( cold air = more boost )

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
I have a bone stock '02 GT auto conv. My best run so far is a 14.5 at 98. There are a few Lightning's around town and I wanna run with them. My question is what mods would I need on my auto GT to be able to keep up with or beat a stock Lightning not including NOS??

My car. You could go nitrous! :rockon:

crew_dawg16

Established Member
unclesams_svt said:
Okay, I have seen a 03 GT gain 10 hp to the wheels just by removing the little rubber piece between the fender and air box. The car was on a dyno and the rubber piece was removed on the second run, so a cai should give you atleast 10 hp if not more.

I call BS on that one, that is one of the first things GT owners do and it is not going to give you 10 hp. You maybe increase the opening of the air box by a factor of 2, but it is before the air filter. A CAI will NOT give you 10 hp on a GT, period.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
I guess I was misinformed. Doesn't it sacrifice a little top end though. What about 3.73 compared to 4.10??

The RPM difference in 5th gear between 3.73s and 4.10s is about 200. With my 5 speed at 80 mph, I turn 2700 rpm with 4.10s.

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
crew_dawg16 said:
I call BS on that one, that is one of the first things GT owners do and it is not going to give you 10 hp. You maybe increase the opening of the air box by a factor of 2, but it is before the air filter. A CAI will NOT give you 10 hp on a GT, period.

You can call bs on it all you want but the dyno does not lie and neither do I. :nono:

Last edited:

HeXX 1

Established Member
if all you care about is beating a few lightnings, throw a nitrous kit on. Your tranny will be fine, you'll probably replace your clutch after a while. The motor will be fine as long as you don't spray more than about a 125 shot.. max.. I'd stick to 100 if it were me.

Also do some weight reduction, those verts are heavy as hell.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
Big Vito said:
you're car needs more then that :D

Oh, it's faster then this Vito. I just keep the wraps on that info . . . A little mystery is always good.

Also, I haven't had a Lightning beat me yet (track or street). Of course, I'm sure there are some real fast ones that could whoop me but haven't seen it yet.

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
Doc GTO said:
Oh, it's faster then this Vito. I just keep the wraps on that info . . . A little mystery is always good.

Also, I haven't had a Lightning beat me yet (track or street). Of course, I'm sure there are some real fast ones that could whoop me but haven't seen it yet.
thats cool, I haven't had a GTO beat me yet either :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread