What springs lower our cars the most??

Migdiesel

Bring It!
Established Member
I want to lower my car and would like to know which springs have the most drop..Input and pics would be appreciated..Thanks..

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I would talk to Sam Strano on the subject. My guess here is that it's probably the Eibach sportlines.

I personally would dissuade you from going for ultimate drop from a purely handling concern. But if you want it low (and lord knows it looks killer) go for it!

Make sure to pick up some quality shocks to go with the new springs!

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Eiback Sportlines or H&R SS...I have the SS's

img0789b.jpg

img0799bd.jpg

img0802bn.jpg

jbur074

Established Member
Eiback Sportlines or H&R SS...I have the SS's

img0789b.jpg

img0799bd.jpg

img0802bn.jpg

dont i recall you cutting the fronts tho? your stance is perfect. i just remember seeing a car like yours saying they cut the front springs a tiny bit?

but ive done some research, the sportlines are a slightly lower. but dont quote me im terrible at researching, i get sidetracked and give up very quickly lol

SicShelby09

Banned
Too much drop is NOT a good thing. I may look hot, but it will ride like a 70's truck. Bouncy and shit. Get the eibach pros or the ford springs. More than those will make your shocks able to do less work making your ride suck.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
dont i recall you cutting the fronts tho? your stance is perfect. i just remember seeing a car like yours saying they cut the front springs a tiny bit?

but ive done some research, the sportlines are a slightly lower. but dont quote me im terrible at researching, i get sidetracked and give up very quickly lol
Yup that was me. I cut just under a half a coil on the fronts. There's about 3 full dead coils on the bottom of the front springs, so cutting makes no difference in ride quality, they're just stacked one on top of another for height purposes. The cutting dropped the front 1/4" more. Before that there was a hint of reverse rake look from certain angles and it annoyed the hell out of me. Thanks for the compliments though, the stance is absolutely perfect imo too :beer:

Also, from what I've seen the H&R SS's are about 1/4" lower than the Sportlines...at least in the rear. If you cut the fronts like I did I'd say the SS's are 1/4" lower than sportlines all around.

Too much drop is NOT a good thing. I may look hot, but it will ride like a 70's truck. Bouncy and shit. Get the eibach pros or the ford springs. More than those will make your shocks able to do less work making your ride suck.
Definitely agree with you...on older cars. Putting springs on these cars gets you a much more cushy ride than previous year mustangs. I was pleasantly suprised after I put my springs in when the car rode so amazingly. No stock boat like feeling, much tighter feeling, smooth on regular roads, and not bouncy at all. I also never bottom out or scrape anything, these cars are pretty much flat underneath like a Vette. I'll agree that these springs are probably more than what most people want, but don't let the fear of ride quality scare you away.

jbur074

Established Member
Yup that was me. I cut just under a half a coil on the fronts. There's about 3 full dead coils on the bottom of the front springs, so cutting makes no difference in ride quality, they're just stacked one on top of another for height purposes. The cutting dropped the front 1/4" more. Before that there was a hint of reverse rake look from certain angles and it annoyed the hell out of me. Thanks for the compliments though, the stance is absolutely perfect imo too :beer:

Also, from what I've seen the H&R SS's are about 1/4" lower than the Sportlines...at least in the rear. If you cut the fronts like I did I'd say the SS's are 1/4" lower than sportlines all around.

Definitely agree with you...on older cars. Putting springs on these cars gets you a much more cushy ride than previous year mustangs. I was pleasantly suprised after I put my springs in when the car rode so amazingly. No stock boat like feeling, much tighter feeling, smooth on regular roads, and not bouncy at all. I also never bottom out or scrape anything, these cars are pretty much flat underneath like a Vette. I'll agree that these springs are probably more than what most people want, but don't let the fear of ride quality scare you away.

now that you say it feels like a boat, it really does lol, idk ive never had ebiachs before, but i have had alot of h&r, and i may go with them simply due to brand loyalty and cut them like yours, i want your stance lol

btw i just looked on american muscle, they state the SSs drop 1.7 front and 2.4 in rear, where sportlines drop 1.4 front and 1.5 rear. im definatly going with the H&Rs :)

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
now that you say it feels like a boat, it really does lol, idk ive never had ebiachs before, but i have had alot of h&r, and i may go with them simply due to brand loyalty and cut them like yours, i want your stance lol

btw i just looked on american muscle, they state the SSs drop 1.7 front and 2.4 in rear, where sportlines drop 1.4 front and 1.5 rear. im definatly going with the H&Rs :)

Yeah and the measurements are exactly right for the H&R’s. I got exactly the drop they advertised. With the fronts cut I got an additional .25” in the front…so 1.95” total. And just so you know too, I did some calculations before I just cut so I knew what additional drop I’d get…

The spring thickness is 9/16”. So if you were just to cut a full coil off you’d get an additional 9/16” drop since the first few coils are just stacked on top of each other. The diameter of the spring from outside edge to outside edge is 6.75”, so a full coil is 21.195” perimeter. From here you just cross multiply to get how much perimeter of spring you need to cut off to get you .25” drop: X=.25/[(9/16)/21.195]. I just rounded and cut 9.5” of perimeter(which is just under 1/2 coil) to get the additional .25” that you see here. Just wanted to let you know I didn’t just go hacking and hoping for a good outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread