What will the new body styled stang weigh????

SVT Cobra

Established Member
well i hope not.... as if 3,600lbs wasnt heavy enough. maybe Ford will do some r&d and figure out how to make the new Cobra lighter :) , even with the forged internals and irs. but then again, i'm not sure and i hope that it wont weight any more.

joeclams9

Established Member
Yeah...they need to put it on a diet..i would love to see it at 3450 or something...not 3600 plus..it might actually scare me away from buying:mj:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Word has it that it will be close to 4,000 lbs. This from a source close to the developement.

Sparky_NHS

Established Member
From MotorTrend...
The car's dimensions (with the exception of a longer wheelbase) and weight will stay about the same, despite the additional structural reinforcement and added safety equipment.

Last edited:

95Proof

Established Member
"and weight will stay about the same" - you know - 3600lbs. to 4100lbs. - about the same. 500lbs. no big deal.:rollseyes

Last edited:

davidmax

Established Member
I dropped a bit of weight with an aluminum block stroker/rear seat delete/titanium rotor hats/wheel tire combo and still waiting on Sean Hylands carbon fiber hood/trunk lid <250 Lbs.> About 400 lbs+ weight loss.Dave S.

joeclams9

Established Member
400 lbs is a great drop in weight..so u took the iron block out of your 03.....not that thats a thought i wouldn't consider...at the same time though...its upsetting that in order to get the car at a weight like that id have to go as far as changing the motor too..i mean...not that your not adding power too but thats a 10 grand plus project there it sounds like.

SnkEyes

Mystical SVT Poster
Established Member
I have heard the 06 will actually be pushed back to 07 and the weight should be around 3300 lbs. Ford is going to try really hard to compete even more with the next Z06.

95Proof

Established Member
3 yrs with no Cobra? Assuming the current model ends with the 2004 edition. Oh well, just more time to save money - I'm going to need it if the new Cobra is anywhere near the Z06 price.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Originally posted by davidmax
I dropped a bit of weight with an aluminum block stroker/rear seat delete/titanium rotor hats/wheel tire combo and still waiting on Sean Hylands carbon fiber hood/trunk lid <250 Lbs.> About 400 lbs+ weight loss.Dave S.

I was talking to John Colletti in Aug.'02, and he said the '03 Cobra eng.(supercharged) would NOT hold together in aluminum form. That is why SVT used the cast block. I would think SVT with all there resources for R&D would know best. Are you using a DART block or what?

Last edited:

joeclams9

Established Member
Not that I dont believe they had problems in testing with the aluminum motor, but I've seen alot of guys running s/c's on the aluminum motor and I can't see why it wouldn't.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Originally posted by joeclams9
Not that I dont believe they had problems in testing with the aluminum motor, but I've seen alot of guys running s/c's on the aluminum motor and I can't see why it wouldn't.

I was just trying to help with the info that JC told me about the '03 with the 4.6 with 6 to 8 lbs. He said, to make them reliable, they did that. Hey, I'd try something too, if I wanted more power. Just save the original motor, like I did with my '95R. I've been wanting to get an SVO aluminum block for my next project with Brodix heads.

joeclams9

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra R Man
I was just trying to help with the info that JC told me about the '03 with the 4.6 with 6 to 8 lbs. He said, to make them reliable, they did that. Hey, I'd try something too, if I wanted more power. Just save the original motor, like I did with my '95R. I've been wanting to get an SVO aluminum block for my next project with Brodix heads.

Sounds like an interesting project. Back to the aluminum vs. iron though, i think part of the problem may be the testing they do on the blocks...meaning that they may run the block at high rpm for long periods of time, and a fresh aluminum motor cant handle that. At the same time though, I think that the testing they do, no average blown al. 4.6 is going to go through when driven on the street(for those periods of time), so it should be just fine. I also think that cost cutting came into play as well.

chopper

Established Member
well lets seeits on a dew-98 platform it will come in at around 3800 lbs. (gt with 3v 4.6l) we just started running cp prototypes last tuesday will build 200 coupes and 100 drop tops . more bad news.... almost 95% of metal stampings is from japan!! ( fuji ind.) this makes a lot of sense to send parts half way around the world when we have a stamping plant less than 6 miles from assy. plt. hold on to your dearborn iron!!!!!!!!!!! from one p.o. ford employee

davidmax

Established Member
Its about 12,000.00 for the all aluminum stroker W/O install.The motor is capable of 900 bhp and as of now I'm running 715 rrwhp which equates to about 850 bhp.Sean is very conservative and this is the most he has pumped from the 5.2 stroker as of now.
I can easily get another 100+ hp with an50 hp shot and more timing advance,but leaving it alone or pushing it to 748 which was the 1st run(no juice) I believe would hold up nicethat would bring it closer to 900 bhp,and on that much power I would go from 104 octane to about107-109 with some additives.
I dont think I will feel all that more differance but I,m sure it could be good for sub 10's at that output.The car is expecting in present tune @ 715 rrwhpand because of altitude 2000 ft lower here even though blown I wouldnt be surprised to see it make 720-725,anyway we expect low 10's and all will be happy for a car not made for dragging.Dave S.

Users who are viewing this thread