What's the real deal?

cobratang

Established Member
I have a stock 96 cobra that I'm looking to supercharge. I've been looking into the ATI p1sc kit. I've called three different shops and got three different answers on the equipment I need. Since my cobra is stock, I'll probaly only run 8lbs of boost. One place told me I needed 42lb injectors, universal maf, fuel pump, and tune. Another tols me I needed 42lb injectors, lightning maf, and tune. The last place told me I only needed the p1sc kit? What do I actually need? There's a big differance in price if I need to buy all these extra's. Thanks, Jeremy

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
Call Andy (1.800.542.6018) at http://www.the-power-source.com and run it by him. I ordered my kit a little over 2 weeks ago and it comes with lightning mass air, 42 pounders, 3-core intercooler ALL FOR $3700.00

Make sure and mention the different year Cobra....just reminding ya!

Tell him Kelly from Kansas City sent ya!:)

cobratang

Established Member
The power source was one of the places I called. He told me I didn't need anything but the kit. He also said that I didn't need 42lb injectors or a maf. I told him I was interesteed in the p1sc kit and was gonna run 8lbs of boost. Another thing he said was that my cobra has 30lb injectors stock, so I wouldn't need injectors. Why the conflicting info? I would really like to get a supercharger but can't get all the info. pulled together. Any idea's would be great.

kpyzfrwon

Established Member
How about calling ATI (procharger)direct? I live like 2 miles from them here in KC.

cobratang

Established Member
Just got off the phone with ATI. Now I got another different answer. They said all I need is 30lb injectors and the kit for 10lbs. of boost. I don't need a in-tank fuel pump or maf. The reason I need injectors is because the stock ones are 19lbs. Is this true are the 96 cobra injectors 19lbs? They also said I don't need to have it dyno tuned but it's a good idea. I'm still confused on what parts to get. I guess I'll go with ATI's answers, if anyone they should know what's going on. I'm still not sure though because one of the other shops I contacted was larocca's performance. They are suppose to be one of the best procharger tuner's. They said 42lbs. injectors, universal maf, fuel pump, and tune. I just want my car to make good power and not blow up. Thanks

ltrclwn

Established Member
hello everyone!!!!!...i dont know if this will help you with what you are hearing about the ati..but i just went through this.....i didnt go with ati i went with vortech instead....i am running 8psi of boost until i get more money together to build up the motor....the super chargers usually come coplete with everything you will need to safely instally and run them.....but what i did to be on the safe side and as recomendations from Steeda(they did the install)....new throttle body......42lb injectors...external fuel pump.......FMU....and a complete computer reprogram tune from the dyno to get the most hp/boost/fuel/air possible and safely...didnt have to deal with the maf...as per steeda running basic boost it will be able to handle it(will have to upgrade as you get into higher boost levels)........the other thing i would do..is put a rear main girdle on the car also to help strengthen the pan...i am doing that this week or next...but i am doing to be on the safe side..would hate to blow my rear main seal........
anyway i hope it helps.......

Matt

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Stock Cobra injectors are 24#.
Most kits have a generic chip with them. This chip is usually really conservative, meaning rich.

I doubt you would need larger injectors on an 8PSI kit. The stock MAF is already calibrated to your stock injectors. If you change your injectors it becomes required to change the MAF to a properly calibrated unit. Calibrated for the #rate injectors you have installed.
I would say the fuel pump upgrade isn't a bad idea. However, since yours is a 99+ car, the pump in the tank will have to be replaced. Kind of pricey, but it is a wise investment if you want to be safe on the fuel supply.
Not to worry. Even on moderate boost levels, your car will make right at 400 RWHP. That is nothing to take lightly. Make sure to change the spark plugs to Motorcraft AWSF22C or a compatible plug. Also gap them at about .035-.038 The stock plugs are too hot with boost and their gap is too large. This causes detonation and spark blowout respectively.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread