Whats unsprung weight equal?

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
If i remove 100 pounds from my rims/tire combo, what does this equal to in sprung weight? In 1/4 times, should that equal .25sec or .5 seconds?
What do you guys think?

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
that is also rotating mass he is losing so it should actually be more than just a tenth IMO. Less rotating mass equals faster times than just losing weight

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
I've heard 1 pound of rotating mass equalled 4 pounds, 7 pounds and 10 pounds.
But i've never heard anyone being sure about it. Does anyone have 1/4 miles times before with stock rims and after with lightened drag wheels?

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
I'm also installing Eibach drag springs, steeda uca & lca, and strange shocks & struts.
Id figure 7 tenths off my time now. But i won't know till another 3 months.
Dam you winter!!!

61mmstang94

Established Member
I'm also installing Eibach drag springs, steeda uca & lca, and strange shocks & struts.
Id figure 7 tenths off my time now. But i won't know till another 3 months.
Dam you winter!!!

That's some good internet racing you're doing there, but the reality is that from a simple wheel change you won't see .7 seconds improvement with the setup you have unless you were spinning like crazy...and you woud be better off just getting a nice set of MT drag radials for your 17s and add the same suspension stuff (or whatever you have on there).

Last edited:

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
I have 17" et streets for my street rims. I have 26" and 28" m/t slicks and Moroso ds-2's for the front. There's guys running 300rwhp and running low 12's. But maybe it's just pick of me day. Thanks bud. Real coool

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
too many variables to tell this. all the weight talk is a guesstimate. unless you can run the same back to back runs with the weight change w/ the same 60 foot, amke the same shift, run in the same air w/ same wind and same everything you wont be able to tell. too many times at events I see guys add that 100lbs in the car for their qualifying passes then take it out to run their number and dont.

it all depends WHERE you take the weight out too..front, back, left, right side. that will change how the car launches and gets to the 60 mark. your et/hp also changes it. the faster you go the harder it is to go faster.

Users who are viewing this thread