What's with the complete lack of S197's in the Database?

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I was really bummed when I looked through the database and from the low 12's to high 13's I didn't see ANY S197 Mustangs. I'm trying to gauge times for my intake/tuner combo and can't get any sort of idea on where I stand and how much more I need to spend :banana:

What's the deal guys?

Gixx1300R

Established Member
TS7.gif

Ticket100.gif

Ticket200.gif

TS7.gif

BK04SVT

i bleed blue
Established Member
i'd say those are pretty good runs man. just an intake and tuner? throw some gears in it and some good exhaust and take that baby into the 12s!

Gixx1300R

Established Member
Intake,Tuner and an Aluminum Driveshaft. I also installed UnderDrive pulleys and go a consistant 13.00s. When I'm done with the Long Tube Headers,torque converter and suspension mods I expect to be in the 12.50-12.60 range without going in the motor.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I know of 2 CAI/Tune only guys that have run 12s with 106~107mph traps...

They are really great mods for the S197...

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
A friend of mine back when the 05 first came out ran 13.00 at full weight with nothing more that a cold air kit and tune on stock tires. He ran 13.30 bone stock. I wish he would have kept it. I think he could have busted into the 12's with just the intake and tune in the right conditions. He was 60'ing in the 1.7's on stock tires.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
A friend of mine back when the 05 first came out ran 13.00 at full weight with nothing more that a cold air kit and tune on stock tires. He ran 13.30 bone stock. I wish he would have kept it. I think he could have busted into the 12's with just the intake and tune in the right conditions. He was 60'ing in the 1.7's on stock tires.

Those S197 cars definitely hook like crazy on stock tires with good drivers. The suspension is awesome on those cars. I pulled 1.84-1.90 60's ALL DAY with my 06 GT on stock Pirelli's, on 3 different tracks. The best mine ran was a 12.77 @ 108.84.

I had a BamaChips SCT tune, JLT cai, Steeda pulleys, JBA longtubes w/ off-road H-pipe, PSI aluminum driveshaft, 4.10's, and cmrc delete plates.

IMO (and as was already mentioned), the tune & cai were BY FAR the 2 best mods I did to that car. Also, from my personal experience, the cmrc deletes are a VERY UNDERRATED mod... they were very effective. And from my experience (cause alot of people say otherwise), the 4.10's were very OVERRATED if you run street tires and your car has 3.55's from the factory. I ran just as good times with my 3.55's on street tires. The 4.10's improved my 330' times by a tenth or so, but they caused me to make that extra shift to 4th gear in the 1/4. Even powershifting the shit out of it, my trap speed went down and the et was no better. Lost over 1 mpg as well... which adds up for me as I drive ~28,000 miles a year.

The pulleys are what they are... a nice cheap mod; just don't expect a whole lot from them. If you can get a driveshaft cheap, it is a nice mod as well. I would just never pay $500+ for one. I caught mine on a sale. The longtubes weren't a ground-breaking mod either. If I'd have had it to do all over again, I'd have just changed out the H-pipe to take the cats off. That's where the power is in the exhaust. I ran stock mufflers fwiw.

Here's my ET breakdown (best I can remember off the top of my head... it's been a while)
8.46 @ 84 in the 1/8-mile... jlt cai, pulleys, & canned SCT tune... with a crappy 2.03 60'
8.32 @ 85 in the 1/8-mile... added cmrc deletes & bamachips tune, 1.9x 60', hot air
13.02 @ 106 in the 1/4 @ Darlington during Mustang Week 06 with same mods with sauna hot steamy air
12.77 @ 108 in the 1/4 @ Mason-Dixon with longtubes, driveshaft, & 4.10's in MINESHAFT cold air (negative DA) and superb track prep. The 1/8-mile et on this pass was an 8.26.
8.18 @ 87 in the 1/8 @ Mason-Dixon on same day... missed 4th gear so I screwed up what could have been a 12.69!

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member

I loved my 06 GT at track. the car was definetely easy to launch. I have cut 1.89 60' on stock tires, it felt like i was about to touch to the ground with exhaust pipes :-D

a few people over at mustangforums.com ran 12.7 with nothing but intake/tune. they are definetely quick cars stock but intake / tune makes them feel like totally different car like pulleying a stock cobra. However, i will never regret trading my 06 into a terminator:lol1::rockon:

res0n0xg

Established Member
I did the same thing. I went from an intake / tune axel back ( muffler delete), u/d pullied 06 5 spd mustang GT.

Now I have an 03 cobra vert with just a jlt cold air, and my my, the difference is huge!
They are "quick" but the cobra is night and day. I can't wait to get my catback on, along with pullies and a dyno tune.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I loved my 06 GT, but that's definitely a trade I would make too!!! :)

.... hell, I love my Lightning and wouldn't trade it back for an S197!

Users who are viewing this thread