Where to get Motocraft Oil

CobraEd

Established Member
Are there any other stores besides Ford dealers where I can buy the stupid 5-20 Motocraft oil. I want to buy the oil, save the receipt for warrenty purposes and then return the oil without the receipt and put real oil in the car (Mobil1 10-30). If I keep buying the motocraft oil and returning it at the Ford dealer over the years, they will get suspicious.

I want to use Mobil 1 10-30, but Ford and SVT make it sound like you will void your warrenty if you don't use their crumy watery non-synthetic oil.

Ed

stan03

Established Member
maintenance records ??

The ford rep has the authority to question and right to make decision on lubricant use that is questioned..even with reciepts.
In 20yrs anytime oil consumption is an issue,returning to motorcraft lubricants have solved these concerns.
Even if you don't like it...that's what your car is designed to run.We have seen many 4.6l's blow the oil filter off running that "good ole 10-30".

CWCobra

Established Member
If you look closely, I believe you will see that the Motorcraft 5W20 is indeed a synthetic blend oil. I buy it from Wallyworld, as said earlier. About $1.80 per quart. Good price on Motorcraft filters, too. Wally rules retail!
Later,
CW

gud2goe

Established Member
remember now, if you go with a "true synth" oil, you are stuck with it. you can go from regular oil to synth BUT you can not go from synth to regular oil.

peace

Cobra'03

Established Member
Re: maintenance records ??

Originally posted by stan03
The ford rep has the authority to question and right to make decision on lubricant use that is questioned..even with reciepts.
In 20yrs anytime oil consumption is an issue,returning to motorcraft lubricants have solved these concerns.
Even if you don't like it...that's what your car is designed to run.We have seen many 4.6l's blow the oil filter off running that "good ole 10-30".

So they take oil samples and send them in for tribologic analysis? After a few thousand miles, a 5w20 will have the vis of a 5w30 anyway. No one, not a dealer, not a lab, can tell exactly how many miles are any oil sample, and as the lighter factions boil off, it will thicken.

The 2001 Cobras have similar tolerances to 2003's, and used 5w30. This "designed for the engine" line has been shown to be baloney - I posted the proof previously, check it out in "Why Ford says no synoil" thread.

Your assertion that Motocraft oil (which is just a repackaged oil from major suppliers) is magically superior is utter nonsense, completely unsupported by industry standards and practices, and the sales of millions of bottles of mineral, synblend, and synthetics from major mfrs like Mobil and Valvoline and Pennzoil, as well as the almost universally used racing synoils like Red Line, Motul, and others. Oil consumption, aside from leakage, is generally lower with premium synoils, doe to better sealing at the ring land/cylinder wall interface.

Please stick to your area of expertise - denying warranty coverage.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by gud2goe
remember now, if you go with a "true synth" oil, you are stuck with it. you can go from regular oil to synth BUT you can not go from synth to regular oil.

peace

Not true - you can freely move from mineral, to synblend, to synoil in any order at will. .

gud2goe

Established Member
well i am not all world squirrel when it comes to oil, i was under the impression from mobile 1 and motul that it was not a recommeded practice to keep swapping oils. if i'm wrong,,, i stand corrected.....

i chose to stick with what is recommended and change at the specified limits....seems to work so far

peace

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Well, I have not seen that on their sites, but there is a tiny bit of truth to it (youre not "stuck" though), in that once an engine reaches normal operating performance (that is, "Break in") with a certain oil's lubricating properties, a change may require a bit of further break in.

However, if you have run mineral oil a long time, have not changed the oil often, and the engine is "loose" from a sealing point of view, deposits can build up which will tend to seal up the engine - switiching to a high detergent oil like synthetics can break up those deposits, and lead to leaks. This is almost never the case with modern cars, but was a problem 15 years ago.

lguerra1

Established Member
CobraEd, Don't use 10w30. 5w20 is what is recommended and using a 5w30 will still be ok. However jumping up to a 10w30 is too drastic for these engines. I have seen too many of them that end up getting sludge from going to a heavier oil. You will be sorry 50,000 miles down the road.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by lguerra1
CobraEd, Don't use 10w30. 5w20 is what is recommended and using a 5w30 will still be ok. However jumping up to a 10w30 is too drastic for these engines. I have seen too many of them that end up getting sludge from going to a heavier oil. You will be sorry 50,000 miles down the road.
Sludge is caused by the oil breaking down, or in rare cases from water in the oil. A 10w30 is less likely to do this since it has higher inherent shear stability, and less viscosity index improvers.

The risk from 10w30, esp mineral oil based, is in cold climates where flow at startup might not be fast enough. This can be a real problem below 0 degrees F.

stan03

Established Member
Re: Re: maintenance records ??

Please stick to your area of expertise - denying warranty coverage. [/B][/QUOTE]

What a bunch of BS,first we have never denied anyones warranty..only the FORD guys do that.
second..I hope you paid over sticker 'cause none of my customers in Texas will and they will get great service to boot by a dealer that has done more mods than most performance shops.
Regardless of your specs..my customers in most driving conditions find the motorcraft product works better than other things they have tried...we sell more bulk motorcraft oil than any dealer in the sw U.S. because of our great price..$16.95..according to our supplier.

Good Luck with whatever you choose !!

mike69440

Established Member
Oil

Once broken in a PAO based 5-30 wt synthetic is the way to go. 10-30 in summer is fine. 5-20 is a bit thin for racing use. Read what 03 Cobra has to say. Also there is some truth to the sludging problem with thicker straight mineral based oils in these too hot running heads where the oil tends to puddle.

Me? I will be goig the full Royal Purple route in a few more thousand miles. Mobil one is good also.

Ford is playing games with the 5-20 wt for corporate fuel economy. Its worth about .03 mpg!

All in all it does not make much difference unless you plan on running past 100,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread