Where to launch???

matted2thefloor

Established Member
Just a quick question for all of you veteran drag racers...what do you feel is the optimum launch RPM for a bolt-on mods only 99Cobra with a straight axle, 3.73, T-56 and 295 (worn) rear tire??? Tomorrow night will be my first EVER trip down the 1320 and lookin for some useful help!

CWJameson

Cobra Commander
Established Member
erm,

i launch at 4000+ RPM's

on the track when its sticker id probably do a 4500-5000 rpm launch

its a little different with every car :D

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
With my et street's i drop the hammer at 5 grand, don't spin. But with my street tires, the cars useless powershifting the first 3 gears. Id say ride the cutch out from 4 grand, like taking off on the street. Even if the tracks prepped, street tires are terrible.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
It's really a crapshoot on a hard radial. They are all so different and it track prep is a big factor as well. It's really all about feel. Get you a good sticky tire and launch it at 5000+ and let it eat.

Jamie R.

Established Member
I'm thinking your going to have to slip the clutch to get a decent launch on streeties. I would start off trying to slip the clutch a little at 3 grand. To get a good run to really want to find the nice balance of leaving under power feathering the clutch and trying to keep the up in the rpms enough not to let it bog. Like F8l said, get some real tires and launch that thing up!! Good luck!!

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

matted2thefloor

Established Member
Thanks for the input fellas! I'll try it out a few ways and see what happens. It's gonna be like learning to drive a stick for the first time at a light on a big hil....with a line of traffic behind!!!! I'll post up results tomorrow....good or bad so I can get some critiquing(sp?).

:pop:

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
Thanks for the input fellas! I'll try it out a few ways and see what happens. It's gonna be like learning to drive a stick for the first time at a light on a big hil....with a line of traffic behind!!!! I'll post up results tomorrow....good or bad so I can get some critiquing(sp?).

:pop:

At least you don't have to worry about rolling backwards. Lol. Have fun.

matted2thefloor

Established Member
lol I slipped out the clutch gently @ 2800-3200 last time I went. You guys are crazy!

Crazy...why????

At least you don't have to worry about rolling backwards. Lol. Have fun.

If I eff it bad enough I might have to worry!!! More concerned about looking like an idiot!!! I've seen it done a lot of times...but seeing is different than doing....:lol1:

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
Your first gear must be crazy long, 3.73's and t-56. But then you only have bolt-ons. Do you plan on superchargering her?? Whats your rpms on the highway in 6th? 1500?

Users who are viewing this thread