Which clutch

red03terminator

Established Member
I have a 1990 mustang gt and need to know what clutch to get. I have been looking into the spec stage 1. My car makes about 325rwhp. Do I need a 28oz or 50 oz flywheel.

wheelhopper

Established Member
The stage 1 should work just fine. I would also look at what price you can get on the Ford Racing HD clutch, that would probably work good as well if 325hp is where you're going to stay. Price would determine it for me between those two.

I can't remember for the life of me what the weight is for the flywheel, and I just did an install earlier this year. A search should give you an answer fairly quickly.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Pretty sure it's 50oz. 28 is for an internally balanced crank. So unless you did a build that requires that, go for the stock 50.

I agree the stage 1 should be fine.

blownfox

Established Member
I have a King Cobra Clutch for sale with a 50 oz flywheel. I think it is the same clutch as the ford racing HD, but not a 100% on that.

let me know if you are interested in it.

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i got a spec stage 3 in mine and i only make 338rwhp and 391rwtq. i suggest stage 3 clutch if tour gonna run it hard which i imagine you will.

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i am using a 28oz balance billet steel flywheel. i have a 347 and thats what its balanced for. are u running stock bottom end or what?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
i got a spec stage 3 in mine and i only make 338rwhp and 391rwtq. i suggest stage 3 clutch if tour gonna run it hard which i imagine you will.

That'll work, but it's way overkill. I have a spec stage 3 in my cobra and it's 600rwhp.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
from what ive been told from a couple big racers... putting a big clutch in a stock T5 is going to go a long way to break it... ive never tried it though. this winter i will be putting another on in my car with a "few" more hp so we'll see how the trans holds. if it blows it blows

93sspcoupe

Established Member
That'll work, but it's way overkill. I have a spec stage 3 in my cobra and it's 600rwhp.

i had a centerforce dual friction and it didnt last long. the reason i put a stage 3 in mine is i race it regularly and drive it everyday. and i plan on adding better heads and nitrous down the road which should be 550rwhp with decent heads

from what ive been told from a couple big racers... putting a big clutch in a stock T5 is going to go a long way to break it... ive never tried it though. this winter i will be putting another on in my car with a "few" more hp so we'll see how the trans holds. if it blows it blows

my stock t5 lasted for almost a year, driving it everyday and racing everyweekend

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
i had a centerforce dual friction and it didnt last long. the reason i put a stage 3 in mine is i race it regularly and drive it everyday. and i plan on adding better heads and nitrous down the road which should be 550rwhp with decent heads

my stock t5 lasted for almost a year, driving it everyday and racing everyweekend

Well, then that makes sense...never hurts to plan ahead.

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i dont see mine making it very long after this winter. my guess is first track outing it will A snap an input shaft at the hit or something exploding on the 1-2 shift

i dunno what broke in mine, i think it was something with third gear not sure tho. the guy that dynoed my car said it break that night cause i went racing and dynoing the same day, but it lasted for awhile luckily.

Well, then that makes sense...never hurts to plan ahead.

planning ahead saves money lol

wheelhopper

Established Member
Its the 3rd gear that usually goes first. It is the weakest in the stock T5. I put an aluminum flywheel in mine to save weight, about 19 pounds of weight. With the aluminum driveshaft my motor now has to turn 25lbs less than stock. I am using an off brand, Gripforce, clutch. It is rated for 365 hp. That is plenty for me. I don't plan on being beyond that for a few years. I have used it now on 3 different road courses and it has worked flawlessly. But I might be easy on clutches. My factory clutch still looked good with 94K miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread