Which tranny fluid should i use?

Tide612

Banned
I know everyone is going to say SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND but i dont want to read 100 different threads. Can someone just tell me the top 3 fluids that people use. Thanks alot for the help

Romans8:28

Established Member
Tide612 said:
I know everyone is going to say SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND but i dont want to read 100 different threads. Can someone just tell me the top 3 fluids that people use. Thanks alot for the help

Mobil 1 ATF if you care about maintaining the warranty on the tranny.

GM Syncromesh or Royal Purple Synchromax (both top notch MTF's) if you are NOT worried about warranty.

The stock ATF is of course "red" in appearance, while the MTF are golden brown or perhaps slightly darker (definately not red)

IMO if you were to show up for warranty service on your transmission with a MTF in the case, you have a good chance of being denied based on CLEARLY NOT FOLLOWING both the owners manual and the sticker right on the tranny.
I don't agree with that, think its stupid, and think it stinks, but its the way many dealers think.

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Royal Purple Synchomax, no brainer. "Manual transmission fluid designed for manual transmissions that specifically call for ATF dexronIII type fluids."

RP Synchromax in mine, shifting is smoother over stock, it slides in gear much easier.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
I put Royal Purple Syncromax in mine and noticed no difference in shifting. That's why I'm going back to stock fluid next change.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I had some Redline D4 synthetic atf laying around at work so I used that. The label says it is to be used in all trannies that call for dexron III and IV. The label on the bottom of my trans says "Dexron III only". Shifts seam to be slightly smoother since the changeover.

Users who are viewing this thread