Which Transmission Fluid?

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Hello gents,

I am going to be getting my built t56 back soon and would like to know what a good fluid would be to use. I called around and was told some varying suggestions.

I was told that a thicker oil would be necessary to use over the stock fluid because of the heavier duty transmission. GM syncromesh was recommended.

GM syncromesh has two types, the standard trans fluid or a high friction trans fluid.

Has anybody have any experience with these fluids?

What are you guys using in your built manual transmissions?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Man either use the factory recommended fluid, penzoil sycromesh or royal purple sycromesh. Most here runs one of those...... Amsoil is good to

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Man either use the factory recommended fluid, penzoil sycromesh or royal purple sycromesh. Most here runs one of those...... Amsoil is good to

Question, why do you ask the person who's building it what fluid they recommend?

I'm looking for some more suggestions, i am having to rebuild this transmission twice, it burnt up 2 brand new input shafts and clusters after a minimal amount of miles, i've used the recommended factory fluids both times and had the gears burnt up, as per my trans builders recommendation. So i called around and spoke with a couple of transmission builders, Linda at Hanlon motorsports said the factory fluid would definitely not a be a good choice for a built transmission like mine, she recommended a thicker trans fluid. She said based on the issues i was having, the only way i'm burning up shafts and clusters like that would be firstly, bad alignment of the trans setup, or either not enough, or to thin of a fluid. She said when going WOT the fluid moves to the back of the tranny and whatever is coating the gears is whatever residue is left on them during WOT. A thicker fluid will coat the gears better allowing them to stay cooler and not build up to much heat from friction as a thinner stock fluid. She mentioned the GM syncromesh fluids.

I know the alignment is perfect, i checked it personally and had my local tuner take it apart and measure drive angle, etc. Everything within stock parameters.

So know i'm...:shrug:

I figure the only thing left to make a change is the fluids, therefore why i am asking the svtp members for some ideas.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I went from RP Syncomesh to Amsoil ATF and it was night and day difference on my T56 Magnum

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
is there a particular reference # for the amsol atf fluid or its labeled as is? also does the local auto parts store have it?

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Im going through this also!talked to Walt at pro motion& he said no full synthetic use dextron/mercron3 only!

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Im going through this also!talked to Walt at pro motion& he said no full synthetic use dextron/mercron3 only!

Yes, this is why im in a bind, not sure what to do here, wally built the transmissions and recommended stock fluids, but ive ruined two brand new components TWICE and trying to figure out whats going on, the install has been done perfectly so im stuck wondering if their workmanship is up to par and they are messing something up, or i need to change fluids....thats where im at right now, im going to change the fluids so i might try that Amsol 98 saleen recommended. I going to ask my tuner as well when the transmission gets back from Promotion and back to their shop. Ive already gone over allot with them, they said nothing should be burning up your trans like that, unless you were having the car towed and you were dragging the rear tires or had a line lock and doing burnouts or dumping the clutch, i have done neither, this is a street car.

Users who are viewing this thread