Which tune to use for dyno?

dajohu

Established Member
Tried searching online and the forums and couldn't find anyone asking a similar question or posting results.

I'm getting my car dyno'd tomorrow but I'm not sure if I should use the track or perf tune. Both are 91-92. I'm not even sure what the differences are in the tunes other than I get the loud pops on decel with the track tune and it's quiet on perf tune.

I have an email in to Justin but he is busy at the event that I'll be going to. I really need to know asap because if I have to switch I want to make sure I get a few miles and start/stop cycles on it because I know sometimes the tunes need a bit to work properly.

If anyone has insight or experience I would appreciate the advice. I will post back when I get the official word.

Last edited:

dajohu

Established Member
Yes I did, thanks BJ, please thank Justin and Steve again for me. The "perf" tune was the proper one, because the "track" tune was setup for keeping the car running more predictable and cooler over a long period of time on the stock blower/cooling, not for max power. I kept calling it a "race" tune, so me doing that caused some initial confusion.

We ended up finding some issues that they resolved on the spot which resulted in me driving home with about 150 more HP than I drove there with. Now I really know what the car should feel like, it is night and day difference. I can see what people mean by "traction challenged" now. I stomp on it and spin in the lower gears, before it would take off and not spin, but much slower acceleration. I didn't even know there was anything wrong but they could feel it on the dyno, and hear it in the way it sounded. Hell I've driven that car for about 5 months and had no idea there was anything wrong.

Hat's off to VMP and thanks for all your help so far. Looking forward to a heat exchanger and TVS next!

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Yes I did, thanks BJ, please thank Justin and Steve again for me. The "perf" tune was the proper one, because the "track" tune was setup for keeping the car running more predictable and cooler over a long period of time on the stock blower/cooling, not for max power. I kept calling it a "race" tune, so me doing that caused some initial confusion.

We ended up finding some issues that they resolved on the spot which resulted in me driving home with about 150 more HP than I drove there with. Now I really know what the car should feel like, it is night and day difference. I can see what people mean by "traction challenged" now. I stomp on it and spin in the lower gears, before it would take off and not spin, but much slower acceleration. I didn't even know there was anything wrong but they could feel it on the dyno, and hear it in the way it sounded. Hell I've driven that car for about 5 months and had no idea there was anything wrong.

Hat's off to VMP and thanks for all your help so far. Looking forward to a heat exchanger and TVS next!

Our pleasure!

Users who are viewing this thread