Which valve spring compression tool to use?

roach4047

Established Member
I'm listing this here because I figure guys with experience with 4 valves per cylinder would have at least twice the experience than with the 2 valve guys..:D

Any how I'm wanting to change out some valve springs on my 2 valve cylinder heads.

I need to mention that the heads are brand new. NOT currently on the vehicle. No cam is installed at this point. I don't want to pay the crazy price that Ford wants for "their" tool.

I'm simply going to be upgrading the current valve springs that came with the patriot stage II assembled heads to a stronger spring. I'm going from 95# to 120# (at the seat) springs. The stronger springs are for the purpose of upping the boost and lessening the chance for valve float @ higher RPM's.

I'm wanting to know from some of you guys what's the slickest tool out there for changing valve springs?

Snap-on seems to have a reasonable price on a product that looks like it would do the trick but again I'm wanting to know from those of you who have the best solution to this. Maybe Snap-on isn't it. A good tool is priceless. I'd like to add one to my tool box. What are your thoughts guys?

Roach

eebj01

Established Member
valve spring compressor

Check with a Ford dealer. I bought my spring compressor which is for the 4 valve motor and I know they listed a different part number for the 2 valve motor. It hooks under the cam and pushes the retainer so you can remove the locks. Thanks, Ed

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
you need both the 2v and the 4v spring compressor tool. and a magnet to grab the keepers.
otc #303-567, ford #T97P-6565-AH
and
otc#303-452, ford #T93P-6565-AR
$124 and $140 respectively, from toolsource.com

might be able to use the ford number to search all the ebay rotunda service kits; thats how i put together my 8.8 toolkits.

Brandon03SVT

Established Member
large flat tipped screwdriver. pries just fine, and wont mess up the tip of the lash adjuster as long as you don't hulk them on.

Users who are viewing this thread