Which wax propels dust the best?

FordFanStan

Established Member
I tried searching but did not find anything for what I was looking for. I live in the sunny hot dusty desert of so cal and have a black L. The paint is not in the greatest shape due to it parked/sitting for a year straight in the sun before I bought it. But until I save up enough for my custom paint, I would like to know which wax propels dust the most. I have used Meguiars and Mothers wax's so far and both after only a day maybe two at the most dust just adheres to it as if it were glue?? so in between wax's I use either brands quick detail type spray and it works ok... Just looking for some already tried and true tested products, any help greatly appreciated...Stan

UA-135A

Established Member
Here's your problem, you're using a wax.

You see a carnauba wax, like most Meg's waxes, CMW, nattys, s100 etc won't hold up in that temp.

In the arizona sun, your wax (especially on black) will melt right of the surface and evaporate.

You need to go with a polymer or synthetic sealant, not a wax. Try Zaino. I use it on my Black Bullitt in the summer and switch to a carnauba in the cooler months.

Last edited:

spree

Established Member
UA-135A said:

You see a carnauba wax, like most Meg's waxes, CMW, nattys, s100 etc won't hold up in that temp.

In the arizona sun, your paints (especially black) will melt right of the surface and evaporate.

You need to go with a polymer or synthetic sealant, not a wax. Try Zaino. I use it on my Black Bullitt in the summer and switch to a carnauba in the cooler months.

says who? I've used CMW, Natty's Blue, and S100 in 100+ degree conditions on a black car. No problems at all thus far.

UA-135A

Established Member
spree said:
says who? I've used CMW, Natty's Blue, and S100 in 100+ degree conditions on a black car. No problems at all thus far.
But is it in the sun? The sun will get the paint hot enough, I don't think sitting in a garage with 100 degrees will melt the carnauba.

Check autopia.org. Ask about carnaubas melting when paint surface gets hot enough.

Juiced-03

Established Member
UA-135A said:

In the arizona sun, your paints (especially black) will melt right of the surface and evaporate.

My car bakes in the 100+ degree sun all day everyday. I have a carnuaba on it right now that is still holding up quite well after almost 2 months of these conditions. And, it's a Meguiar's wax :bored:

I understand your concern, but that just isn't true on all carnaubas. Actually, all of the ones you listed are the ones that perform the best in my experience.

UA-135A

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
My car bakes in the 100+ degree sun all day everyday. I have a carnuaba on it right now that is still holding up quite well after almost 2 months of these conditions. And, it's a Meguiar's wax :bored:

I understand your concern, but that just isn't true on all carnaubas. Actually, all of the ones you listed are the ones that perform the best in my experience.
How do you know the wax is still there? I'm just trying to figure this out. Carnauba wax will melt once the paint gets hot enough.

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
UA-135A said:
How do you know the wax is still there? I'm just trying to figure this out. Carnauba wax will melt once the paint gets hot enough.

The tightness of the beading and the look of my finish are good indicators. I washed my car last night and the wax beaded the water as good as it did a month ago. The beads are very small and tight. No pools or puddles of water. All perfect beads. When my wax wears out, usually there will be very large beads of water and perhaps no beads at all. The water may just pool up. Sealants generally sheet the water off the finish rather than bead.

Also, my zinc yellow really appreciates the benefit of a wax in the looks department. I can easily tell my finish with and without wax just by looking at the gloss. After detailing professionally for over 3 years, I can surely tell if my own finish is losing its "pop". I do agree that most carnaubas will deteriorate quicker than most sealants, but not because of the heat. Heat may have a small impact on the durability, but a 105 degree day of heat won't strip it off overnight. I think constant periods of rain have more of an impact on carnaubas than the heat does. Your experience may be different than mine, so feel free to argue my statement if you disagree. :beer:

UA-135A

Established Member
Juiced-03 said:
The tightness of the beading and the look of my finish are good indicators. I washed my car last night and the wax beaded the water as good as it did a month ago. The beads are very small and tight. No pools or puddles of water. All perfect beads. When my wax wears out, usually there will be very large beads of water and perhaps no beads at all. The water may just pool up. Sealants generally sheet the water off the finish rather than bead.

Also, my zinc yellow really appreciates the benefit of a wax in the looks department. I can easily tell my finish with and without wax just by looking at the gloss. After detailing professionally for over 3 years, I can surely tell if my own finish is losing its "pop". I do agree that most carnaubas will deteriorate quicker than most sealants, but not because of the heat. Heat may have a small impact on the durability, but a 105 degree day of heat won't strip it off overnight. I think constant periods of rain have more of an impact on carnaubas than the heat does. Your experience may be different than mine, so feel free to argue my statement if you disagree. :beer:
From the research and experience I've had, carnaubas will melt if the paint really heats up. maybe it's just black. Zinc yellow is bright and will reflect alot of light/heat as will metal flakes, but from my experience with black, carnaubas wont' hold long once the paint gets hot.

spree

Established Member
UA-135A said:
From the research and experience I've had, carnaubas will melt if the paint really heats up. maybe it's just black. Zinc yellow is bright and will reflect alot of light/heat as will metal flakes, but from my experience with black, carnaubas wont' hold long once the paint gets hot.

Off the top of my head, raw carnauba has a melting point of about 150-160 fahrenheit. I have seen carnauba melt before...I used to use a Meg's wax (forgot which one) a few years ago that would melt right off during the summer. All waxes aren't created alike, however. You also have to keep in mind that some waxes have high carnauba content while some don't.

Juiced-03

Established Member
UA-135A said:

Color may indeed have something to do with the durability. Black will definitely hold the heat in for sure. I have only owned one black car and I wasn't really into detailing that much when I had it. Most of the customers with black cars I detail want a frequent wax job so it's hard to track the durability on them. I have noticed that CMW is one of my less durable waxes, but I feel the Vanilla Moose (quite an oily product) may have something to do with that. I am going to try CMW over a nicely prepped finish (clayed, polished, AIO) and see if it lasts longer without the Vanilla Moose. I have a feeling it will.

Users who are viewing this thread