Which will be more valuable, the 03/04 Cobra or the GT500

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Hi guys, new to the forum here. I've been reading a lot about the new Shelby GT500 and am questioning how it will compare to the 03/04 Cobra's in value. The 03/04 has a lot going for it in that it's the last of the Fox body Stangs, looks like it may be the last with the independent rear suspension if the GT500 is any indication, the first production supercharged 4.6L mod motor, and was only made for two years. The Shelby GT500 is, well a Shelby. It's also the first year of the new body style and the first Mustang to have a 5.4L motor. My money is with the 03/04 Cobra's, and not just because I own one. It's for the reasons mentioned above.

My concern is how much involvement did Carol Shelby really have with this car??? I would bet money that this car was in the works long before the first 05 hit the showroom floor. Can it be considered a "real" Shelby Mustang or is it just a SVT Cobra with a sticker kit used as a marketing ploy. I know some guys in the forum probably don't care but for me if I plunk down 40G's on a car that is supposed to be a "Shelby" Mustang only come to find out it's not, I'm going to be pissed. My only reason for even considering giving up my 03 Cobra is because this car is supposed to be a Shelby Mustang. I've dreamed of owning one ever since I was a little kid so this would be a dream come true for me.

Just some personal concerns I have, I'm sure not every one agrees with me and that's fine.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Jim

03 Red Fire Cobra
855 Miles, bone stock :burnout:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
A flawless 03 and a flawless GT500 20 years out, the 500 will be worth more. Mine won't thou, my 500 will be in the junk yard after I've had it a few years! :thumbsup:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
SVT designed the car and put his name on it, thats it! Each will be worth some money for whoever preserved it 20-25 yrs. from now. Who cares? If you're looking to purchase a car for future worth you're looking into the wrong thing! Try real estate instead.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Your right, cars suck as investments. I just like to keep em clean with low milage.

Orange Poison

Established Member
I'll tell ya what....the 03/04 Cobra looks way better in my opinion, and years later I think looks and performance are what matters in a collectable.

The Shelby is starting to look over done or goofy...that's just my opinion. The Terminator seems more raw to me.

Last edited:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
ThunderStik said:
Thats odd, I feel exactly the opposite.

ditto.

Why the hell would it be worth anything after 20 years anyway. What does a 1985 GT with the 350 stripe package and white interior go for these days, $900 bucks?? Last of the fox bodies isnt exactly something to look FOR I get bored with 4 year old cars, I sure as hell do not intend to hold on to one for 20 years. For the original shelby's how much was done by ford?? Look at a car called the California Special to see what Ford had to do with it(its basically a de-badged "shelby").

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I don't know which one will be worth more, but I'm getting one of those Shelbys to keep my Terminator company in my garage. :D

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Must be nice!!! I have to get rid of my 03 Cobra to get the Shelby. I have my 90 GT Conv to keep it company...........

metaman

Established Member
I wonder how much 40K in ford stock will be worth in 20 years. Now that is an investment. Cars are for fun, they are money pits even if they hold thier value well. As far as which one will be worth more. I think it will depend on what the 08 and 09 shelby have to offer. If they are better than the 07 then everyone will want the later model years.

I might sell my 03 and get one. But I will only be getting it so I can polish it and have fun with it on the weekends. It is pretty much burning money no matter what new car you buy.

Users who are viewing this thread