Whipple 2.9L Front feed questions

jn2

Established Member
So I made a post over on ACMR and figured a thread would be best for asking some questions.

I am looking at picking up the "tuner" kit for my 2013 GT and from what I can tell from all the vendors selling it is that it include everything needed except a tune and injectors. So that would mean it does come with a fuel rail that works with the OEM fuel line?

Also, if anyone who has it, or has done installs for it can explain to me how the IAT2 sensor is connected. I read the instructions on Lethal's website and it is not exactly clear how it works:

76. Connect the supplied 3-way to 2-way air charge temperature pigtail at the rear of the passenger side cylinder head. Route to the driver side back of engine for later installation into the ACT sensor.

119. Connect the previously installed ACT pigtail to the ACT sensor located on the driver side of intake manifold.

Those are the only 2 lines that reference a IAT2 sensor and there are no images available on how exactly the ECM will read this since they don't say what or how it is connected to. On the Roush kit you had to repin 1 wire into the ECM and cut and soder a second wire, and those instructions were clearly outlined, but on Whipple's its not

Last edited:

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yes, even the tuner kits come with the fuel rails and connections to mate to the stock lines. As far as the instructions, it sounds like there is still some old stuff from the rear feed blowers in there as the front feed kits don't come with the IAT2 any longer. We do have a kit available and you can download the instructions for install as well from our product page located here:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/le...ang-5-0l-iat2-kit-for-whipple-front-feed.html

Let us know if you have any other questions!

rustang1

Established Member
Yeah you have to get the IAT2 pigtail separate and hook it up and re-pin just like the tvs/vmp.

Whipple instructions need to be modified. Some things are confusing because they aren't clear if it's for 11-12 or Boss, 13-14.

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
I just recently purchased a 2.9 front feed myself (used) and it was basically a tuner kit as it did not have injectors or a tune. As stated above it does come with fuel rails and very nice connectors to link to the stock fuel system. I went with ID1000 injectors and had Lund racing do the remote tune. I did end up buying the MSD boost a pump from whipple as Lund wouldn't tune the car without it. As far as the wiring goes on this kit, it's super easy. There are just 2 extensions. The whipple instruction manual is pretty thorough. I did the install myself no issues. Just got my final revision tune from Lund a few days ago and she screams!

jn2

Established Member
I just recently purchased a 2.9 front feed myself (used) and it was basically a tuner kit as it did not have injectors or a tune. As stated above it does come with fuel rails and very nice connectors to link to the stock fuel system. I went with ID1000 injectors and had Lund racing do the remote tune. I did end up buying the MSD boost a pump from whipple as Lund wouldn't tune the car without it. As far as the wiring goes on this kit, it's super easy. There are just 2 extensions. The whipple instruction manual is pretty thorough. I did the install myself no issues. Just got my final revision tune from Lund a few days ago and she screams!

Yeah I'm confidant I can do the install myself no problem. After going through installing headers a supercharger should be cake. Given everything I have heard from people I will prob pick up a BAP as well just to keep things safe.

Yes, even the tuner kits come with the fuel rails and connections to mate to the stock lines. As far as the instructions, it sounds like there is still some old stuff from the rear feed blowers in there as the front feed kits don't come with the IAT2 any longer. We do have a kit available and you can download the instructions for install as well from our product page located here:

http://www.lethalperformance.com/le...ang-5-0l-iat2-kit-for-whipple-front-feed.html

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the clarification guys. Guess I'll just get the IAT sensor w/pigtail and cut and splice into the MAF since I will be using the Boss strategy, IAT2 isn't natively supported.

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
Interesting, I would put the supercharger install a more time consuming endeavor then headers. I did my Roush supercharger install a little at a time over a few weeks. The repining was more of a pain then anything on the headers

jn2

Established Member
Interesting, I would put the supercharger install a more time consuming endeavor then headers. I did my Roush supercharger install a little at a time over a few weeks. The repining was more of a pain then anything on the headers

Headers on this car sucked...Did them on jack stands with out removing K member and spent 12+ hours on it...24 collective hours if you factor in me and my friends time. It was a major pain and ended up taking it to shop to get it done on a lift. A supercharger install can all be done on the ground with no hard to reach places, cramped spots, etc etc...

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
Headers on this car sucked...Did them on jack stands with out removing K member and spent 12+ hours on it...24 collective hours if you factor in me and my friends time. It was a major pain and ended up taking it to shop to get it done on a lift. A supercharger install can all be done on the ground with no hard to reach places, cramped spots, etc etc...

Yeah it's actually very simple. I probably could have done it in one day had I really wanted to. I did it over 3-4 weeks just a few hours here and there. I also had to work around some issues as I already had a cooltech oil cooler where the intercooler needed to go, and the roush fog lights were in the way of the intercooler reservoir. So I had to do some custom brackets and trimming to get it all to fit. But the supercharger itself is stupid easy and as you said it's a welcome change working on the car on the ground and not laying under it. Really only had to do that for a small time for the BAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Yeah I'm confidant I can do the install myself no problem. After going through installing headers a supercharger should be cake. Given everything I have heard from people I will prob pick up a BAP as well just to keep things safe.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Guess I'll just get the IAT sensor w/pigtail and cut and splice into the MAF since I will be using the Boss strategy, IAT2 isn't natively supported.

You got it. Let us know if we can help any further! :beer:

vortecd

Established Member

I've done it 3 times on jack stands and it is 4-6 hours. Found it is easier dropping the k-member since I have done both ways.

Still have to jack the car up to take the front end off for the intercooler, at least it makes it easier

Since you fought the headers so bad maybe the supercharger will be faster for you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread